Sign in to follow this  
muppet

Monitoring of Childs Statement

Hi Peeps,

Can any one tell me to whom I should address my concerns if I feel the school are not meeting the agreed actions and procedures detailed in my sons statement? I am currently discussing issues with the head but I can see a brick wall rapidly approaching. Do I go to the governors or should I raise my concerns with the Education Officer of the LEA?

Any help and opinons gratefully recieved.

Muppet :unsure:

In our area we would go to the special education depeartment i think but the ED officer of the LEA would be the same. We recently had a similar problem where M said his LSA,s hadn,t been coming into class and i spoke to the SENCO who said they had been having a lot of meetings as they had just gone back to school but everything was back to normal now, why don,t they have these meetings after school when they would cause less disruption.

why don,t they have these meetings after school when they would cause less disruption.

Probably because a lot of LSAs are employed for mornings only, and they are not going to come back at 3 to go to a meeting, unpaid. I missed a lot of the LSA meetings last year because I was working with a statemented child, and I did feel a bit left out things.

There should be a SEN Governor, who monitors that the school meets its SEN obligations. You could try writing to her in the first place.

If you are sure that the school is not meeting the requirements of the Statement, you can write a "6-day letter" to the LEA requiring them to ensure the provision is made within 6 days (see ipsea site).