sesley

is ADHD part of the Autism spectrum?

i am in a debate with people the usual that think ADHD is new and they didn't know ADHD was on the spectrum,but iwas informed in the assessement of P it is though he does'nt have that,so please enlighten me so i can agrgue, back, the discussion is about some on WH radio 4 to go alongside that the medics need to follow better guildlines and diagnosis in prescribing drug therapy.

In other councties ADHD is considered to be on the Autism Spectrum Disorder, Here it isnt as such, however ADHD criteria is from the Autism Crietria and I strongly believe that there is a strong co morbid, ADHD is mainly impulsive and destracted with or without Hyperactivity, this could be described in Autism too, I personally feel that Js ADHD is what stands out for him as he is a higher functioning Autistic however he has significant impairments in Social and commumnication difficulties so it is a very uneven spectrum, hence the Autism Spectrum Disorder, the more parents I meet who's children have had Diagnosed ADHD first then at around 9-16yrs then lead on to Aspergers Syndrome or ASD is high, as the same for parents I meet who have children already diagnosed with ASDs are been diagnosed or been assessed for ADHD.

Personally I think when you have a child with an uneven profile and have abilties and impairments a child can present with a number of Diagnosis or Traits of many Lables.

Personally I feel there is a massive over lap and a definate link in all the Lables it just depends which onces are more prominant and what the triggers are that set of the symptoms.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

i am in a debate with people the usual that think ADHD is new and they didn't know ADHD was on the spectrum,but iwas informed in the assessement of P it is though he does'nt have that,so please enlighten me so i can agrgue, back, the discussion is about some on WH radio 4 to go alongside that the medics need to follow better guildlines and diagnosis in prescribing drug therapy.

I was listning to the radio 4 programe you mentioned.......hiss........seethe...... my daughter has AS, dyspraxia and ADHD. I didn't hear the whole program but the 5 mns I did hear there was no mention of ADHD being on the spectrum, but the Dr (well I think he was a DR) was insinuating no child was born with ADHD they aquired it through nuture only, by which he ment (and said) poor parenting, lack of love from parent to child, not enough attention having been given to the child etc etc!!!! My daughter has only ever been given tons of love, attention huggs kisses etc etc since the day she was born, yet she still has ADHD. she has had more attention than most children and yet she has dyspraxia and AS as well. Are they linked? or is it just bad luck for her, and the many other children around the globe that have both AS and ADHD. I don't think this Dr has a clue to be honest, a week in my house might give him a vague idea of real life!

sorry not much help to you i'm affraid, it would be good to hear if any one else listened the programe

Hi,

I didn't hear the programme - but there is an article in todays Mail on S - about ADHD (Hitchens) - he says that NICE have issued a report which I think is causing the discussions.

I think it's mainly about NICE saying that the drugs prescribed are not safe etc (especially for little ones) - and it goes on to say that 'the disorder remains one that is defined at a behavioural level - and it's presence does not imply a neurological disease'.

Last week his article was saying that dylsexia doesn't exist.

Take care,

Jb

I listened to the Woman's hour programme and it was a very lively debate - definitely worth listening to, if you missed it, via the "listen again" facility. I think it was Oliver James (psychologist) who was saying that ADHD was all down to parenting issues - I raised my eyebrows at the 'lack of love' bit - I'm sure the programme will be inundated by protests from furious parents!

K x

I refered my ds for ADHD only to be told he didn't have it, but a few months later was told he had Aspergers and that they were testing him again for ADHD as they said that it normally goes with the Aspergers and he was dx with ADHD and a few months later told he has SPD (sensory processing disorder)

I refered my ds for ADHD only to be told he didn't have it, but a few months later was told he had Aspergers and that they were testing him again for ADHD as they said that it normally goes with the Aspergers and he was dx with ADHD and a few months later told he has SPD (sensory processing disorder)

I think it is...but a developmental disorder.

I was wondering the same as I have aspergers syndrome or HFA, which runs under the autistic spectrum and having spoken to this young lady with ADHD and aspergers combined with psychosis, I could not get a word in edge ways! No offence

- Basically she would ask a question and before I would answer she would ask another one whilst going off at a tantrum by answering it herself then completely change the subject. Consequently she would forget what I have said and we end up talking over each other as I have aspergers and none of us end up listening to each other which results in a very poor social relationship.

Hi All

I seem to think there's a lot more to ADHD than anyone realises.

If it's a parental thing, how can it be controlled by drugs?

The drugs are used to stimulate a certain part of the brain which otherwise lies almost dormant, If you gave that kind of stimulant to a NT child what would the effect be? Challenging, overstimulated child who wouldn't sleep for days(oh and you'd prob'ly be arrested) Therefore how can it be down to bad parenting. It's a disorder in the brain which cannot be caused by bad parenting.

I think there is definately some kind of link to the spectum as a lot of people/kids with ASD's are also dx with ADHD