Sign in to follow this  
Zosmum

Injection Anx

Z is due to have the new cervical cancer injection in school tomorrow :tearful: and I am absolutely dreading it. The last time she had an injection was to have a tooth out and that was horrendous. She doesn't do needles.

When the dentist wanted to give her a filling she went ito complete meltdown and wrecked the surgery so she was sent to a dental clinic where they were really nice to her but she still wouldn't have it done From there she was sent to hospital to have the tooth taken out and 6 nurses pinned her to the floor so they could put her to sleep :wallbash: Didn't help the fear of needles much

Now you can see why I'm terrified. I will be with her in school while they attempt it :pray:

Do you think it is worth all the anx that goes with it or if she doesn't want it in the morning tell the school not to do it?

Are the school and whoever is doing the injection aware of her previous reactions? Could it not be done by her Gp in a calmer less stressful way than having to line up and wait to be seen which I imagine will increas her anxiety? Good luck.

Do you think it is worth all the anx that goes with it or if she doesn't want it in the morning tell the school not to do it?

i'm with madme. can she have the jab somewhere that feels a bit safer for her? the vaccine is a tricky one because it has a time limit age wise and once that's passed it doesn't work. obviously its not an 'essential' vaccination, but i'm of the 'every little helps' persuasion. another thing to bear in mind is that if you can get her to see a kids nurse they may well jab it in her while she's not looking- a very handy skill :whistle: it shouldn't hurt if done well, just sting while the liquid is going in. are they still BCG-ing or have they stopped that now? that will be the bigger hurdle if its still running, because its two lots of stabbing and the first 6 punch thing stings.

Thanks for your replies

The school are trying the jab first and if she won't have it then we can try going to the clinic. After this first one there's another in 1 months time and then a third about 6 months after the date of the first :wallbash:

NobbyNobs-I don't think they do BCG any more(Thankfully)

But I don't know about rubella!!!!! :unsure:

You may find that if the other girls are having it she makes less 'fuss' (I'm careful about calling it fuss as I had a terrible fear of needles which I'm getting over at the moment - I managed not to flinch today so it can get better.... :rolleyes:). It may work to down play it totally and I wonder if having you there could make it worse - but you know her better than any of us.

If you're sure it may be a problem, it would possibly be better not to have the school try it first as this could intensify the fear and make it harder the second time.

I do want to say that it can get better though - and as much as it's said, relaxing and feeling safe is key.

Thanks Mumble

I don't know whether me being there will make it worse or not just don't know which way it will go but have been asked to be there just in case

have you one of those toy doctor sets, with a syringe toy in it? or could you get a clen syringe without the needle of course and let her play with it, while she plays with it,see if you can explain with pictures and social stories,what happens, could you be with her? when she gets this injection?maybe if she is prepared a little before time ,she might be able to accept things better.

Hi sesley

We've been playing with a medicine syringe sticking in just about aything that doesn't move

The cat shifted rather quick when she got a bit to close :lol:

Hopefully it's helped :pray:

if all else fails, do you know someone who uses insulin or the similar who she could see having an injection in a very matter of fact way (obviously if she refuses tomorrow now!) we had a diabetic dog who i used to have to give insulin injections to and have been a lot less squeamish after learing the 'proper' dynamics (ie, grab, jab and throw) he just used to look at me like i was nuts and trot off quite happily). obviously she can't go round jabbing people but it might help to see how normal it is?

HAPPY DAY :dance:

The jab went really well

Don't know if it was all the talking about it before hand or what but she did it :D

She got up this morning and was really quiet but then the smallest of things was setting her off only for her to go really quiet again

She went to school slightly huffy but no worse than any normal good day

I went up at 9;45

She went into the room where they were giving the jabs OK, sat down quietly and then burst into tears saying she didn't want. Igave her a great big bear hug, she said OK just do it and that was that.

She did it without swearing, lashing out or going into meltdown

I am so proud of her :thumbs: I want the world to know how my DD went through this almost perfectly Even with all the anx of the past few days SHE DID IT

I think I might have to buy her a treat for being soooooo good

Thanks for your support and ideas

Zosmum

FANTASTIC! huge treat deserved i think

Thats fantastic. When my ds had the fragile x test it took me n 2 nurses chasing him round the waiting room to catch him then he screamed the place down n had to be held by 3 people!!!!!