Sign in to follow this  
DMM

Advice about OT appointment

Can anyone give me some advice? School doc referred us about 6 weeks ago for hearing test, speech therapy, OT and psyc unit. Have hearing test in 2 weeks and today got letter saying they are unable to give us OT app unit around 1year from referral date. Is this normal? Do we need this app before any others can take off. My boy has only 2yrs left at primary school and was hoping it would be on the way before secondary school. Should i push for earlier app?

Debbie

Hi.OT can be difficult to come by.We have had and continue to have ongoing battles.If the OT assessment is part of ongoing assessment then go back to the school doctor and inform him/her regarding the lengthy delay.....push as hard as you can. :wallbash::wallbash: Karen.

Thanks so much for the advice. This is all new to me and the only app we've had is with the school doc, so very early days. His teacher says to keep pushing so at least i have her backing. Looks like this will be a long process. Will phone to put his name down for a cancellation and contact school doc on Mon.

Thanks again

Debbie

OT is very hard to come by in our area you can,t get it for kids on the spectrum :shame: , keep pushing and try for a cancellation.You may find the most vital appt will be with a physch.Best of luck, suzex

Thanks so much everyone for the advice. Spoke to school doc 2day who told me as far as she knows the waiting list for OT is only 4months!!! Anyway, i contacted the hosp and have been put on the cancellation list. I also told them that as i live close to the hosp and have transport, i could accept an appointment with 30 mins notice. School doc says she doesn't think i'll have long to wait.

Next battle will be pshyc!! Just wish it could be sorted before he starts secondary school, but can't see that happening.

Thanks again.