Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

ARRRRGGGHH!!

I've just been in the noisiest/most horrible tutorial ever. 60 people, over heated room, stupid bright lights, obnoxious smelly people. I ended up walking out halfway through the tutorial and got in trouble with the lecturer :tearful: I now have a cracking headache and I can barely speak. :wallbash:

In a few minutes I'm due to meet my mentor to go have a meeting with the faculty student adviser.. Not sure how that is going to go. Maybe them seeing me struggling might be a good thing, I dunno.

Just wanted to vent before the meeting. :angry:

I've just been in the noisiest/most horrible tutorial ever. 60 people, over heated room, stupid bright lights, obnoxious smelly people. I ended up walking out halfway through the tutorial and got in trouble with the lecturer :tearful: I now have a cracking headache and I can barely speak. :wallbash:

In a few minutes I'm due to meet my mentor to go have a meeting with the faculty student adviser.. Not sure how that is going to go. Maybe them seeing me struggling might be a good thing, I dunno.

Just wanted to vent before the meeting. :angry:

Oh my goodness, I'm not surprised you found that hard. (I would probably have turned around before entering the room and slunk off, and felt very :crying: hoping no-one would notice - and I'm 'NT'). I thought it was meant to be academically challenging, not a mental/physical/emotional Iron Man challenge.

Hope some progress was made in the meeting.

Billabong

I bumped into the lecturer at the bus stop after my meeting with the student adviser.. The meeting went ok by the way but we needed to get the faculty disability person involved and she wasn't available so we have to go back same time next week for another meeting :unsure:

Anyway I got on the same bus as the lecturer and she was saying that the class size for tutorial is far too large. So now she is going to ask for the tutorial groups to be split, and it is going to be discussed next week in the meeting I'm going to as well. :lol:

I'm really not liking the ratio in my course this year. Last year there were mostly mature students with a few people who had failed A Levels, this year it is the complete reverse and is mostly students that failed A levels with a few mature students. The majority of the people who are on the course talk all the way through lectures and muck about, meaning I can't concentrate.. I thought things were difficult last year! That was real easy in comparison to this year (so far, I'm hoping some things will get sorted).

I bumped into the lecturer at the bus stop after my meeting with the student adviser.. The meeting went ok by the way but we needed to get the faculty disability person involved and she wasn't available so we have to go back same time next week for another meeting :unsure:

Anyway I got on the same bus as the lecturer and she was saying that the class size for tutorial is far too large. So now she is going to ask for the tutorial groups to be split, and it is going to be discussed next week in the meeting I'm going to as well. :lol:

I'm really not liking the ratio in my course this year. Last year there were mostly mature students with a few people who had failed A Levels, this year it is the complete reverse and is mostly students that failed A levels with a few mature students. The majority of the people who are on the course talk all the way through lectures and muck about, meaning I can't concentrate.. I thought things were difficult last year! That was real easy in comparison to this year (so far, I'm hoping some things will get sorted).

That was a useful 'bump' :) It sounds as if the lecturer might be at least a bit understanding, hopefully more so having spoken with you one-to-one. At least she should be on your side, as splitting the group will be to her benefit too.

That is so rude, talking through the lecture, I would get really narked at that :wallbash: . Maturity's not just a matter of age, is it? I hope the little blighters decide to hop off elsewhere :robbie: or start taking notice instead of yakking. And I hope there's good progress next week.

Billabong

Maturity's not just a matter of age, is it?

Not at all! There are some really nice 18/19 year olds in the group that just get on with things, but there is also a large number that are a right pain! :whistle:

Update: It has been decided that the tutorial group is going to be split in two and each group will have a tutorial on alternate weeks. This cuts the group down to about 25 per tutorial group, so a lot better than the 60 we had last week.

Yee-haa! :clap: That sounds more manageable. I hope the smaller size of the groups means that bad or rude behaviour (as in talking loudly) isn't so easy to get away with.

Billabong