baddad

From 'The Grapes of Wrath'...

Hi all.

I'm currently re-reading 'the grapes of wrath' by John Steinbeck (written in 1939!), wot i ain't read since i was far too young to appreciate it, and I stumbled on a couple of paragraphs I thought you might find interesting...

Behind them, moving slowly and evenly, but keeping up, came Pa and Noah - Noah the first born, tall and strange, walking always with a wondering look on his face, calm and puzzled. He had never been angry in his life. He looked in wonder at angry people, wonder and uneasiness, as normal people look at the insane. Noah moved slowly, spoke seldom, and then so slowly that people who did not know him often thought him stupid. He was not stupid, but he was strange. He had little pride, no sexual urges. He worked and slept in a curious rhythm that nevertheless sufficed him. He was fond of his folks, but never showed it in any way. Although an observer could not have told why, Noah left the impression of being misshapen, his head or his body or his legs or his mind; but no misshapen member could be recalled...

Noah could do all that was required of him, could read and write, could work and figure, but he didn't seem to care; there was a listlessness in him toward things people wanted and needed. He lived in a strange silent house and looked out of it through calm eyes. He was a stranger to all the world, but he was not lonely.

Whats really nice is the affection with which he writes about Noah - the same affection he shows for 'Lenny' in OM&M... wonder if steinbeck new somebody like this? have to find his biography and have a blimp!

:D

Edited by baddad

How intersting. My dd did OM&M last term for English, and she had to write about one of the characters and decided in her essay that he was 'probably autistic' and ended up getting an A*. I'd be interested if there is a connection with someone he knew, so if you find out let me know!!!

Flo' :D

Hi,

My daughters' studying Of Mice and Men at the moment - and has mentioned a couple of things that struck a chord with me. She herself commented on the 'affection shown' - although reading it does make her very sad at times.

Take care,

Jb

JP studied OM&M at school. He always struggled with Eng Lit, so I bought him the film, starring John Malkovich as Lenny. He absolutely loved it, & still watches it regularly, really identifies with how Lenny's intentions are misunderstood.

'Of Mice and Men' made me sooo angry when I first read it, I was outraged that a book should upset me so!!

On reflection, not a wise leap forward for an 11 year old given newfound freedom in the adult library.....I don't think I'd ever read a book before that where it didn't all turn out right in the end!

Even in LOTR, the characters suffer many hardships and injustices, but your wounded sensibilities are salved by the good ending.

It would indeed be interesting to know if there's a connection......

Thanks for posting this, Bads!

Interesting - maybe you're right and there is a connection with someone in real life. I tried googling but couldn't find any clues in Steinbeck's background.

K x

I read this book many years ago, so long ago that I can't remember anything that happened! I think I need to read it again.