Sign in to follow this  
Sooze2

AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH! So anoyed

So, I asked them to apply for Stat Assessment early july, phoned them this morning about some other boy child related thing (yawn) and asked if they had send off the apllictaion for stat assessment yet - guess what they said "erm, yes, well, we are still compiling the evidence - I will speek to SENCO to see how far along it is"!!!!!! :wallbash::wallbash::angry::angry::pray:

From what I've read on here you send a letter to the Education Authority and they say either yes we will do it or no we will not. Is that right or have I got it completely wrong. Do they need to compile evidence before they send off this print out letter that you can get off the IPSEA website of is it infact much much more complicated than that.

I asked if I can read through the stuff they are sending off before they send it and she said that there is a section on the actual "assessment form" that I will have to write on but thats it!

I am very very angry. I keep waiting for my letter saying they will/won't assess him.

I think I am about to blow a gaskit :angry:

Are they doing their job or not, am I expecting too much?

Sorry just editing to say that surely I should be involved in the whole process or is there some kind of "education cult" that I am excluded from unless I speek in an extremely high irritating voice and can do lots of funny dances. Please enlighten me!

Edited by Sooze2

I know exactly how you feel >:D<<'> My son's school are just at the compiling evidence stage ATM too. The ed-psych has said that if the school doesn't prove that they've tried every possible option available through SA+ and they're still not meeting the child's needs then the LEA won't assess.

It's so frustrating cos I've been asking them to start this process since he was in nursery and it's only now that he's becoming violent towards the staff and other pupils and being disruptive in class that they've set the ball in motion.

We're due to review after christmas so I'm hoping the school will pull out all the stops and we'll have all the evidence ready to apply for assessment. I know that means it'll be nearly the end of term by the time a statement would come through but at least it'll be in place for next year.

My suggestion is to keep pestering the school, ask them what stratagies they're trying, how they're monitoring the effects, what records they're keeping etc. I know my son's school are pretty good at keeping me in the loop but to be fair they don't get much of a choice, I'm very persuasive :whistle:

keep strong,

KJ

Thanks KJ, I feel reasured by that. So they do have to compile all the evidence before they apply. Ok.

Thing is that they always say he's been fine even if he hasn't. He is calmer at home at the mo so if he's the same at school now they won't have a chance of getting as far a assessment I fear! They do have 2 TA's in his class now though, one for an Autistic boy who DS now shares and another one who also helps the rest of the class and him sometimes. I only know about what help he gets from what he tells me. The teachers aren't really very good at that bit but at least it's there eh.

Thing is that he was 9 the other week and so if I have to wait till next year he will almost be in year 5!

Keep pushing them for information even if it means requesting a copy of his school records, my son's ed-psych told me that the LEA will want the school to have tried any stratagies for at least 3 months before they'll even consider assessing and the assessment itself can take upto 26 weeks. If the LEA decide that the school should have done more and refuse to assess you have to either wait 6mths before reapplying or take it to tribunal(sp?) either way, that'll take you close to your son starting secondary school and that's a difficult time for any child, let alone a child on the spectrum!

My son's only 5 so we're a long way off that point yet but every day I'm watching his natural love of learning being diminished by the struggle he has at school, It's heartbreaking. I left school at 14 because the system failed me and am now having to study through the OU as i have neither the time nor the resorces for full time education, I don't want my son to end up in the same position.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

KJ

I'm watching his natural love of learning being diminished by the struggle he has at school,

That sentence really connected to my Jay, he is too curious and eager to know how things work, move, turn, spin, he is like a sponge, but like you school really squeezed it out of him, I so know what you mean.

JsMum

Sooze see again my reply to your question about statutory assessment a couple of weeks ago and check out the Code of Practice links. You should be kept fully informed and incvolved.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...mp;#entry234930

The request letter on the IPSEA website is for parents only to request an assessment. The process is a bit different for schools - in my LA there's a standard form which schools have to fill in, detailing all the SEN steps that have been tried: SA, SA +.

Whether the school or parents make the request, the LA have 6 weeks to make the decision whether or not to assess. That's an awfully long time - even if the clock started now, it would be nearly the end of term before you get a yes or no from them. If you are getting frustrated with the school's slowness, don't let them fob you off. You can start the process yourself just by sending off that letter - this is not being unreasonable: your right to do this is set down in law and in the Code of Practice, and you don't need the school's permission. Once the process is underway, you and the school will still have plenty of time i.e. 6 weeks, to gather and submit evidence, and you will at least have a definite answer at the end of it.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

every day I'm watching his natural love of learning being diminished by the struggle he has at school, It's heartbreaking.

Same here, he was and still is like a sponge, he has a better memory than me or DH. The school say he is very very bright, but he can't write a readable sentence or understand intructions or do anything people want him to do without them getting to a point where he has to be told 10 times over and then everyone is frustrated.

You should look at photo's and videos of him before he started school and then those taken after. I find it hard to watch, my boy is gone forever, he was always first up to volantear for things and would stand up in front of loads of people to dance and sing when we went to groups etc. He was extremely funny to be around. Now he won't even let me hand in his swimming certificates to school so he can be congratualeted like his sisters.... he doesn't want to be singled out. That is not my boy! :tearful:

Edited by Sooze2

Thanks Kathryn, I know, you did mention it the other day but after speeking to the school I got myself in a tis again!

I also got a letter today that brought it all to the fore again when I was having a good day and not even thinking about anything to do with DS untill I opened it!

Spoke to SENCO after school and she was really sweet and said it will be fully ready after half term. They really are great but I think I just worry nothing will come of it after being fobbed off by my gp etc for such a long time. The school are actually lovely.

Sorry for rambling again!