Sign in to follow this  
pookie170

Interview advice please!!!

Hey folks,

tjw's post made me think to ask this here- I know there are a few teachers and such out there, so I'm hoping for some ace tips!! :thumbs:

I went for a job interview today for an advanced Support for Learning Assistant post (think it may be called a TA or HTLA in other parts of the UK) and it went okay but I didn't get the job.

Not to worry, I've got 2 similar interviews lined up for next week!

I got good feedback and am sure I was unsuccessful because I didn't answer a couple of the questions as fully as I could have.....

What I need to know is, what questions should I anticipate being asked next week, what would you guys ask of applicants for such a post?

What would you expect them to answer?

The HT that led the interview today did say I gave a good interview, but one or two points could be improved upon......

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Esther x

Esther,

Not got much experience in this field, but can only advise from my expereince of interviews (being on both ends) is that when you answer the questions back them up with an example of how you with deal with that particular situation from past experience.

Good luck

Clare x x x

Cant help specifically with this kind of work, but what is useful to remember is that the questions asked are openings for you to talk about your self and your experience. As long as you don't end up repeating your self or talking nonsense (Like I have found my self doing on a few occasions) you cant really say to much.

My most successful interviews have always seemed more like having a chat with someone about myself, but then I'm talking about completely different type of work.

Usually at an interview the questions are based on the person specification part of the JD, so try to think about examples of things that you could talk about for each of those criteria ie if it says good verbal and written communication, then think of how you can tell them you fulfill that.

Esther,

Not got much experience in this field, but can only advise from my expereince of interviews (being on both ends) is that when you answer the questions back them up with an example of how you with deal with that particular situation from past experience.

Good luck

Clare x x x

Yes, this is what they are looking for. Look at the job description and see how you can give examples from your own life which illustrate how you have what they are looking for.

Also, questions can often centre around a difficult situation, and they ask you what you would do in such a situation. In these cases there shouldnt be a right or wrong answer, but they are looking at if you think on your feet and can demonstrate the qualities and knowledge that they are looking for. But if you dont have a particular skill/piece of knowledge/qualification you can say that honestly, but add that you are usually quick to learn these things and would really appreciate being trained in that skill/doing a course on that etc.

When I was a teacher I wasnt particularly good at interviews though. I went on and on for too long! We all used to chat about them and it seemed that all of us had a different approach, it was often a case of if you were the best fit for the team concerned.