Sign in to follow this  
bjkmummy

iep targets

ben is 7 so should be in year 3

starting to get concerned about bens lack of academic progress - his twin brother and sister have now started reception and seem to be ahead of ben even though there is 3 years difference. ben spent 18 months in special needs school and the last year back in the mainstream which has an asd unit attached to it

his new iep gives him tagets such as to learn his birth date and to count to 30 plus to learn the months of the years - basic stuff that most 4 - 5 year olds can learn - not sure where im going here but school keep telling me hes making great progress but certainly not in comparison with his peers who can all now read and write - ben shas just learnt mum dad floppy biff and chip etc - getting worried he is falling further and further behind

I find learn his birthdate a strange one for an IEP dont you? Why? I know we all need to know our date of birth some time but surely there is something more pressing for him to learn, like high frequency words.

The counting ones are probably OK... Do they mean rote counting or count 30 objects accurately? There is a difference between just reciting the numbers and actually counting something.

I havent seen an IEP for a while though. Lets be honest its not fair for me to comment as I dont know the child, but if you feel there are other more relevant things as measurable targets on his IEP I think you should raise them.

the counting to 30 is rote counting - there is no academic targets as such in realtion to his reading - it has things like - he will earn to write his address etc - useful i know but for a child who has not yet even learnt the reception age key words think there should be more pressing targets for him to achieve!!!!!!!

The IEP should have targets that are achievable, or there is little point.

As said, not knowing the child it is hard to see where they are coming from with these targets.

My son got off to a very slow start with reading, Joly phonics were introduced in year 1 and he then made a lot of progress. Then seemed to stall at about 9 months behind age group.

Then all of a sudden shot forwards and last time he was tested he was 9 month ahead of age .

That was at old school, who, I now realize, have a lower expectation for all their kids than his present school, so I wait to see what new school says.

I know it is not easy but you should try not to compare him against others. Just see his achievement for what they are.

Hi

Totally understand your concerns.

Thing with IEPs is that they're supposed to be achieveable, measureable, etc, and they're shouldn't be too many targets. As is the case with my son, he is quite a way behind his classmates (and that worries me), but his EP has said that he's progressing at his own rate which is within the guidelines. It sounds like this could be the case with your child also.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

Had a meeting at school to day. EP had been doing an assessment and had a whole raft of paperwork which I will be reading tomorrow in day light.

Said that school are doing as much as they can under SA+ But had a lot of new things for school to do.

Upshot was that new things to go on IEP with next review in 5 weeks (3rd since September) and then will have enough evidence to put together a good case for assessment.

Our son only properly started at this school in September so things are moving quickly.

At his old school in a different council area, they did not seem to think that there was any need for anymore than SA+.

His new teacher is climbing the wall, Just wants to get a Statement in place ASAP.

This just confirms that education is a bit of a lottery.