Sign in to follow this  
Tally

Very Bad Cat

I have a very bad cat. I knew the score when I took her on 3 1/2 years ago, and realised there was very little chance of her ever becoming a 'normal' cat. Part of her problem was because she was so unhappy and frightened, and I have worked so hard to earn her trust, whilst also working on the behavioural problems. I can't say I've got it right 100% of the time, but she has settled down so much and everyone says she is a different cat. I've been so proud of what I have achieved with her, but just recently she is regressing. Now we are pretty much at the point where we were when I first got her. I don't know what is wrong with her, but she is obviously very unhappy and frightened. To be honest, so am I at the moment. I feel like I have let her down in a big way by taking her on when I clearly cannot cope with her. I don't know what to do for the best. She is as unhappy here as she was when she was in the rescue home, but she stands very little chance of finding a permanent home with her behavioural problems, especially now that she is not only 10 years old, but has been diagnosed with epilepsy. I have let down my other cat too. He will be 17 in a few months. He is not capable of defending himself any more and he needs peace and quiet, and I have brought this whirlwind into his home.

I hoped one day to have a career in helping other people with their cat's behavioural problems, but what hope is there for that when I cannot manage my own? She's only 12 inches tall and cannot speak, and I cannot control her at all!

Tally, what about a thorough exam. by the vet, in case there is any underlying physical problem that is behind this regression?

I always think of you when I have a cat problem because you're so knowledgable.

Please don't feel so bad >:D<<'>

Boho :(

How long Tally has it been since she has become unhappy again.....its nothing to do with the fireworks is it ???

Please don't knock yourself, your our resident Cat psychologist on this forum, I am sure you will get to the bottom of what is troubling her.

Clare x x x

She's been so much more relaxed about the fireworks this year. She only got upset when nextdoor had some and she got under the book case. She hasn't seem bothered about others further away, but maybe they have been upsetting her. Cats are very good at hiding things! The other thing I hadn't thought about is the rain. Not only does the sound of torrential rain frighten her, but she won't go outside if it's raining and maybe has a lot of pent up energy. Last night I got a toy on a string and got her to chase it around for a bit, and she was much calmer overnight. I am going to send her outside if we get any sunshine today.

Mr Cat spent the entire night under the duvet with me, and he seemed very happy last night as well :)

I thought about taking her to the vet, but there is no way she is going to let anyone examine her at the moment. The vet would need to touch her and see if she seems to be in pain, but if the vet touches her anywhere she is going to leap in the air and scream whether it hurts or not. As she seems better after getting her running about, I'm going to hold off on taking her to the vet unless she gets worse again. If she's just upset, taking her to the vet will make her a whole lot worse because it really upsets her.

Sometimes she sits on my lap and purrs. She lets me stroke her head and in the last few months she's started letting me brush her, so that's been good progress. Hopefully we can get back to that again.

Tally, I think you're a lovely, thoughtful cat-mum! :D>:D<<'>

I took our little cat for her post-op check today. She has only got her two front 'fangs' and a few little teeth at the front bottom left :( But she does seem much happier, and hasn't been sick at all (she was always a very sicky cat...maybe all the gunk in her system from the tooth disease??).

Boho :dance:

If she still has her fangs, she will still be able to bite you :devil:

Mitzi is a bit "special" and I guess it's always going to be one step forward two steps back. It's very frustrating at times. I would love to consult a proper cat behaviourist, but I just don't have the money.

Do you think she is compensating for the grumps (as in grumpy, narky people) you've had the displeasure of coming across today? I wonder if there's a laughing cat icon somewhere?