Sign in to follow this  
Caffeine Junkie

Autism Assistance Dog

We have been fortunate in getting an 'Autism Assistance Dog' from Dogs for the Disabled.

We were rather unsure if to go down the assistance dog route, due to the little man being apprehensive of dogs. However, it has turned out to be one of the best things we have done. 'A' absolutely loves his dog and enjoys the time spent with her.

It is still early days, as we have only had the dog for 3 weeks, but it has all been positive so far. 'A' is happy to stand next to his dog when we are out and about, instead of trying to run off.

I just hope it carries on being possitive in the weeks and months to come.

We have been fortunate in getting an 'Autism Assistance Dog' from Dogs for the Disabled.

We were rather unsure if to go down the assistance dog route, due to the little man being apprehensive of dogs. However, it has turned out to be one of the best things we have done. 'A' absolutely loves his dog and enjoys the time spent with her.

It is still early days, as we have only had the dog for 3 weeks, but it has all been positive so far. 'A' is happy to stand next to his dog when we are out and about, instead of trying to run off.

I just hope it carries on being possitive in the weeks and months to come.

I think we went through this a short while ago here.. I had to get rid of a dog in 72hrs (Lucky it was on loan anyway), there was no way my child would interact or have anything to do with a dog at all, really stressed him out (And us !). Autism assistance Dog ? Where do they come from ? what is the 'training' ? There was someone on TV this moring trying to sell off old racehorses as 'cures for autistics', I think they are going too far frankly ! What next chickens for autistics ? elephants ? spiders ? Amercians claimed all these and pigs for good measure on a lead..... (Really !). I think all these things are just a media distraction... the emphasis is of course on the respective animals, NOT The autistic... I think us parents would know if our child had a perchant for any animal... because we will have tried anything and everything...

This was one of the best things I did was get a little dog(not an autism one mind)....my lad has bonded with her and it is the only time he will take responsibility for something and actually realize the dog has feelings if that makes sense.

Like any assitance dog (such as guide dogs for the blind or hearing dogs for the deaf), the focus is on helping the child to cope with their difficulties.

Dogs for the disabled

Support Dogs

I think its a good thing too. I havent had a special assistance dog, but our daughter had very long lasting commitments to our dog and cats when she was growing up. Now they have passed on, she feels that there is a void in her life without a pet, but she isnt able to care for herself fully let alone an animal. In other words, it would be OK if she lived with me so I could make sure the dog was looked after.

i have chickens :unsure: i like that i have to remember to feed them and let them in and out of their run.

i can completely understand that the equivalent of a guide dog would be helpful for kids with autism (i say autism rather than AS because i think it would need to be more severe to be necessary) it gives them something to focus and rely on in stressful places that isn't going to wander off when it sees something interesting in the shop window!

Like any assitance dog (such as guide dogs for the blind or hearing dogs for the deaf), the focus is on helping the child to cope with their difficulties.

Dogs for the disabled

Support Dogs

Well, I don't see the point as a deaf person in dogs for us either... it always ends up dog lovers versus reality.... I can see a point in the blind having guidance, the deaf simply do not need it. I think it is wasted money training them for us, the last thing deaf people want is to draw attention to themselves, and a dog will do that. I've been deaf 40 years and never needed a dog, as companions/pets that's the choice, as need, not proven. As we saw with my autistic child, not really dog lovers either.... and no I don't feel as it works for some it will work for all... I KNOW it doesn't.

Well, I don't see the point as a deaf person in dogs for us either... it always ends up dog lovers versus reality.... I can see a point in the blind having guidance, the deaf simply do not need it. I think it is wasted money training them for us, the last thing deaf people want is to draw attention to themselves, and a dog will do that. I've been deaf 40 years and never needed a dog, as companions/pets that's the choice, as need, not proven. As we saw with my autistic child, not really dog lovers either.... and no I don't feel as it works for some it will work for all... I KNOW it doesn't.

Just because something isn't appropriate for you and you family doesn't mean it is inappropriate for everyone or a stupid idea. Please respect the right of others here to hold a different opinion from your own.

Simon

Just because something isn't appropriate for you and you family doesn't mean it is inappropriate for everyone or a stupid idea. Please respect the right of others here to hold a different opinion from your own.

Simon

I am explaining the deaf do not NEED a dog, mainly because there is nothing they can alert us to, any ordinary alarm cannot. I accept anyone's choice to have a dog, just challenging its validity in terms of the deaf. We can and mostly DO, manage easily without one. I never said it was stupid or inapproriate either, just that it wouldn't work for me and mine. That's the trouble with these discussions dog lovers will see nothing uneccessary about them. I could suggest the topic itself made generalisations of the need or success of an 'autistic' pet, we are still awaiting what constitutes its training... It's a dog not a miracle cure for autism....

Just as we argue tirelessly that autistic individuals are individuals first and foremost and as different from each other as NTs are, I suspect people with any dx are the same - individuals first with their own needs and reactions to interventions. Therefore, I can see that in some circumstances a hearing dog for the deaf would work, in others it wouldn't, just as in some circumstances an autism assistance dog would work whilst in others it wouldn't. I don't think it is anything to do with being a dog lover or not - I am definitely not a dog lover but that doesn't mean that I can't see that it could work for some people.

Now where can I get one of these autism assistance elephants from - that sounds like fun to me and would solve all the problems of public transport, people getting in my way, and allow me to literally trample those who refuse to get it and annoy me :devil:

Now where can I get one of these autism assistance elephants from - that sounds like fun to me and would solve all the problems of public transport, people getting in my way, and allow me to literally trample those who refuse to get it and annoy me :devil:

Where in London would you park it though? And would you have to pay a congestion charge? :unsure:

Caffein Junkie, glad to hear your son is getting on well with the dog. What breed is it?

K x

She is a cross between a labrador and golden retreiver. She is extremely placid, which makes her a good match for my son, for he would not tolerate a dog which was too lively.

As for being a dog lover, that is certainly not the case. The dog is an aide for my son ( and therefore for all of our family), inorder to try and achieve some "normality" in our household. An example of some "normality" is the fact that I no longer have to sit on the landing outside my son's bedroom waiting for him to fall asleep. He is now happy for his dog to be with him and will fall asleep happily with just her presence.

Where in London would you park it though? And would you have to pay a congestion charge? :unsure:

I can think of several people and their possessions I could park it on top of. :whistle: The congestion charge wouldn't be a problem as it wouldn't come with a registration plate so the cameras that automatically read them and dish out the fines would never know it was me :D

She is a cross between a labrador and golden retreiver. She is extremely placid, which makes her a good match for my son, for he would not tolerate a dog which was too lively.

As for being a dog lover, that is certainly not the case. The dog is an aide for my son ( and therefore for all of our family), inorder to try and achieve some "normality" in our household. An example of some "normality" is the fact that I no longer have to sit on the landing outside my son's bedroom waiting for him to fall asleep. He is now happy for his dog to be with him and will fall asleep happily with just her presence.

Well I know the criteria for an 'assistance' dog, is the whole family MUST take to it, deaf are not given a dog unless the family is willing to accept it. It is unusual you see it as something for your child, but not for you, you are tolerating it for your son ? Deaf are turned down flat on that basis. It's probably in the training, an 'autistic' dog perhaps hasn't to serve any function but as a passive companion to your child. Deaf and deaf-blind dogs undergo very expensive and lengthy training, they won't give anyone a dog. If you live in a flat you won't get one, if you cannot exercise it every day, again you won't get one, if the family is not willing to accept it totally, again you are refused,they check your finances too ! to see if you can afford to keep it. A dog is a living thing, not a 'tool'. Our problem was nobody really wanted a dog at all, that is why I had one on approval (!), to see if it would work. It was the worst time of our lives in reality, we weren't dog people at all... :tearful: regarding the assistance elephants, there is a VERY long que for those.... >:D<<'>

Our dog could easily be a hearing dog for the deaf....if the phone rings she will bark n jump on you n then go to the phone, same if cooking timer beep, fire alarm goes(burnt food lol)etc and it was really good for my son(hard of hearing)so id say if someone is deaf n has a hearing dog then yes it works and yes it is worth every penny.

She is more than a passive companion, she is an aid to help my son to fit in with "normal" society and for our family to be able to venure out on family activties. The reason I would not call us dog lovers, because we would not ordinarily choose to have a dog has a pet, due to the work involved, mainly the time commitment. Not just the exercising daily, but the regular grooming. However, due to the help she will be to my son, then I feel that the extra work involved in keeping her is more than worth it. She has quickly become a member of the family.

The dogs are highly trained, and the training is on going. They have to be to have public access. It is this public access which will allow us to start doing family activites again, has assistance dogs are allowed places where pet dogs are not. My daughters are looking forward to be able to share activites with myself and their brother, rather than our family constantly being torn in two.

It is a long process to get a dog. Most people do not even get pass the application stage. We had to be interviewed and be able to demonstrate a basic ability to handle a dog. We had a home visit to introduce a dog to my son. At this time it was decided they did not have a dog that was suitable for my son (due do him being nervous around dogs) and so we had a long wait for a more suitable dog to be available. When a suitable dog was found, I had to attend a residental course to learn how to handle her and take care of her. The training is on going and will have to take a formal accessment next month.

We then had to be careful how we introduced her to my son. She was not allowed to approach my son, for it was to be taken at my son's speed. My son approached her when he was ready and the relationship then slowly built up, as he became confident with her being around. Having an assistance dog is no quick fix. It takes a lot of work and patience.

I think this can be a great strategy for children with ASD's. My son is a different child with dogs-it's a shame he is to old (14) or I would apply for one, so he can be more socially involved with things.

All assistance dogs have to be well trained and matched to the person.

The idea of these dogs is to promote independence.

It does not matter if the person has Autism, Deafness or blindness its the ability of the dog to work with the persons difficulties.

Not everyone will need an assistance dogs.

As a forum we should celebrate that some ASD children have been considered for a dog. And the ones where is has been successful need to be celebrated

But as with any animal it takes time to achieve what the animal has been trained for.

Our dog could easily be a hearing dog for the deaf....if the phone rings she will bark n jump on you n then go to the phone, same if cooking timer beep, fire alarm goes(burnt food lol)etc and it was really good for my son(hard of hearing)so id say if someone is deaf n has a hearing dog then yes it works and yes it is worth every penny.

It's important to note not everyone is suited or eligible for a dog of ANY kind. My neighbours would be up in arms at all the barking, and would have telephoned the local council about the noise lol............ There is actually only 1 dog in my street, my neighbours seem to not like them around.......I was a bit concerned one poster stated dogs assist autistics to interact with 'normal' society. What is normal ? My autistic son already is, no dog can 'integrate' an aspie.... nobody can in most part.

Years ago we had a dog who would, when left alone, would do a lot of barking and howling.

The houses were all detached so you would not have heard much indoors but one of our neighbors phoned the RSPCA who came round when we weren't there and then when we were and basically said to neighbor, dog is well looked after and doing what dogs do. Heard no more from neighbour.

The world "normal" was a Scare Quote.

Just as well I treat Wiki with the contempt it deserves then :thumbs: A site of fairy tales written by the most boring people on Planet earth with nothing else to do, but invent fiction. There are 6 BILLION 'norms' on this rock, pick whatever 'fact' you like.... :rolleyes: