Sign in to follow this  
NickyB

Teacher waiting for me in playground!

When I collected DS from school today, I could see his teacher waiting in the playground. I was trying to avoid eye contact, hoping that she wasn't looking for me :pray:

I got that familiar sinking feeling, and sure enough she came over - apparently, DS had kicked her and left a bruise :(

We have a meeting with teacher, SENCO, and the LEA primary SEN coordinator on Tuesday, to talk about DSs behaviour problems and general lack of inclusion in school. He is so obsessed with being first that he gets really aggressive if someone else is in front of him. He keeps running out of the school gate at the end of the day so that he's the first to the lollipop man!!

He's also wandering off during the school day - usually to find me as I work in the kitchen, but it's impacting on his ability to take part in the class. I've come to the conclusion that it's sensory issues causing it - he finds it really hard to cope with lots of people and/or noise :wallbash:

Any help with possible solutions I can suggest in the meeting would be gratefully received!!

I'm so glad it's Friday :thumbs:

Hiya Nicky,

Are you sure it is all sensory issues? The reason I ask that is that with problems related to sensory issues the reaons for the behaviour/action isn't immediately apparent and often the child can't verbalise it. Your son sounds like he's got an urge to be in front, be first and that he gets impulses,that he hasn't yet learned to control, in order to facilitate this. He also has the added incentive of wondering round the school looking for you because he knows you are there somewhere. I'm not saying that he isn't suffering from some sensory problems as well, just pointing out that from what you've said he appears to be reacting to an impulse rather than a reflex and that maybe if you and the school addressed those impulses first then see what happens. Gosh, sorry this is so badly worded because I haven't been up long and my coffee hasn't kicked in yet!

Flora xx

Thanks, Flora.

It's good to get a different perspective on things - I guess it's best to keep an open mind, as he's not really able to explain what he's feeling and why.

I hope your caffeine has kicked in now - it takes a least 3 cups of tea before I can even begin to make any sense :lol:

Nicky >:D<<'>

sorry cant help but reece is the same always has to b first drives me crackers at times goodluck with it all

love and hugs love donnaxxxx