Sign in to follow this  
josie h

Aaargghhh!!!

Just enjoying a last shopping trip with my husband who has managed to take today and tommorow off work. phone rang. Can i collect C from school? Apparently there was an incident yesterday - that i wasn't told about, and another this morning - first thing!

C refused to leave the room when asked to, and then refused to discuss the incident with the head teacher. He has now told me that the other child involved said he had hit him around the back of the head. C said that he didn't and another child addmitted that he did it, not C. Anyway, I had to pick C up and bring him home. he is now not allowed in school tomorrow either for the last day!

C is very upset about this. He has now told me that he wants to go to another school - I have talked to him about school requesting change of provision on his statement review. we are waiting for LA to make a decision and come up with alterantive provision. C fels that school don't want him there and that it doesn't matter what he does coz they won't listen anyway.

At least now he has a few weeks off before it all starts again!!

I just feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall - I guess many of you know how I feel. I just wanted some respite over the christmas holidays. At least having the kids at home will make it a little easier!

Sorry just felt like a moan!! :wallbash::wallbash:

Fist of all >:D<<'>

I take it that these exclusions have been put into writing making them official exclusions. If they have not then they are illegal exclusions and you must ask for them in writing and tell them that you want it in writing everytime they send your son home.

The Head obviously knows very little about autism otherwise he would know that it is a communication disorder and that at that moment in time your son was probably unable to discuss the incident with him. I think that this is probably the most important issue of all to sort out about this incident. Your son can not loose his disability to to apease the head. There should be someone in the school whom your son can access in times like this who can then advocate for your son and at the very least make the head aware that communication is one of your sons biggest problems. I am not saying that the incident should not be discussed just that any discussions that take place MUST be wrapped around your sons disability. I would be very cross about this if I were you. The head is expecting your son to act like all of his peers. He can't do that because he has autism. It's not about making excuses it's about making reasonable adjustments and that is the law not a choice. Because they are not making any adjustments for your son he is unable to tell them what really has happened and so he end off being punished for something he says that he did not do. This is very unfair and I would be knocking really loudly at the door of the LA and asking them to do something about this now.

Cat

Edited by Cat

I read your post with great interest as exactly the same thing happened to us last year! Finally got a day to shop together and get a phone call from the school asking us to pick him up. It was heart breaking. At the time D was in primary school, he is now in comp and I?d love to say the change of school has helped him but within one term he is a very unhappy and disillusioned little boy. He is now asking us to move him to another school so he can 'reinvent' himself as the cool clever hip one that fits in rather than being the one who is different. He is a very able child who achieved straight 5's in his SATS and now finds himself in a school where to be in the top set at maths you have to have got over 90% and D can't cope with being in the second set as he only got 87%!! would that I could be half as clever as he is! I'm thinking of retiring to my bed and not emerging till he's 17.

Hi I really feel for both of you as the same has happened to us- 3 times in less than 2 weeks. Yesterday he'd had enough and climbed out of the window and ran off. We got the police involved as he was so stressed and has little experience with public transport; police found him at home thankfully. Today he was told off for something minor so hid under a table,-they thought he'd done another runner so called me (first day at new job!) when they found him to take him home.

There are some many things wrong with the way some of our children are treated. I am complaining to the governors and the LA. :angry:

I hope you can enjoy your time at home with your boys, hopefully without the school stress they will be a bit easier to live with.

Best wishes