Sign in to follow this  
electricwizard

Hi think I might have aspergers

Hi everyone, I have been told by various people that I may have aspergers and I've read up some of the symptoms of aspergers and I do certainly seem to fit them all. I find communication with people very difficult and as a result have never really had any friends despite the fact that I have lived in the same place all my life and I am now 21, I had a few fairly close friends when i was 13/14 but after that I seemed to have a lot more trouble. My problem is I just don't know how to talk to people, I don't know what I should say to them and I don't know when I do something wrong, also this is a problem that just reinforces itself because the less people I talk to and the more time I spend alone bouncing around inside my head the worse it gets.

Anyway I have joined this forum in the hope that I can possibly clarify whether or not I actually have this disease and hopefully if I do have it to find out if possible how I can better interact with people socially and share experiences with others.

Happy Christmas

Alex

Hi Alex, welcome to the forum.

Hi

It's not a disease!!

AS is generally associated with acute anxiety and depression, but apart from that it just makes you really special and unique.

Hi Alex, and welcome to the forum.

I first heard of AS when I was 21, and eventually got diagnosed aged 25 (last year).

Probably the best thing you can do for the moment is read up on Asperger's and get a better idea if it seems to fit. There's a really good book by Tony Atwood called "The Complete Guide to Asperger Syndrome."

It might also help to talk it over with trusted friends or relatives. That could also give you an idea of how others see you.

Getting adult diagnosis is not always easy and it's not always available on the NHS. Even with a diagnosis, there is very little support available. So whether you decide to seek formal diagnosis or not, you will probably benefit most from finding your own strategies for dealing with your difficulties. Talking with other adults with AS can be a good way to learn about strategies which have helped for other people. Even if it turns out you don't have AS, just some traits, these strategies could be helpful for you.