Sign in to follow this  
pim

advice for applying for an assessment

I'm sitting here reading through all the documents about applying for an assessment to get a statement for ds.Ds is 4 in July and at pre-school. I think this would be the best route to go down, to try and get help for him before he starts school in January. I'm sure this topic must have been covered in previous discussions. I'd appreciate it if any-one can give me some links.

I don't understand whether on the initial form I have to send in any reports from the paeditirician, SALT or will they write to them. The reports I have are quite basic. Should I make an appointment to see the paed again, which will take a while in itself. It all seems so complicated.

pim

Hi

send everything every time - keep lots of copies. If you don't send stuff you can bet they'll say there's one item that's vital and can't get hold of without a delay!

good luck

Zemanski

Like Zemanski says keep copies of EVERYTHING and note of when was sent. Dont worry if what you have isnt in depth, send it anyway. On the form asking for parents views paint the worst case scenario as if applying for DLA (I know this is hard to do but they need to be persuaded to make a statutary assessment) If they do decide to assess, they will contact everybody themselves (social services, paed, gp, pre-school etc) and will send an EP to do an assessment either at home or in pre-school or poss both. If you need some support try contacting parent partnership (or local equivalent) they are really helpful.

good luck,

lucy