Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

Quiet Space/Sensory Room

I'm looking for ideas to put forward to the student union disability officer as we are meeting up with someone about the new buildings on campus and they acknowledged the lack of quiet space for people with learning disabilities/developmental disorders etc to escape to. The disability student group is going to be consulting on this. I would like to take some ideas about the kind of things that people with AS would require, I mean I can talk of my own experience but I'm sure there are others. What would you look for in a quiet/safe space? At the moment there isn't anything in place and there are some students that really struggle with the hustle and bustle of the uni campus.

I'm looking for ideas to put forward to the student union disability officer as we are meeting up with someone about the new buildings on campus and they acknowledged the lack of quiet space for people with learning disabilities/developmental disorders etc to escape to. The disability student group is going to be consulting on this. I would like to take some ideas about the kind of things that people with AS would require, I mean I can talk of my own experience but I'm sure there are others. What would you look for in a quiet/safe space? At the moment there isn't anything in place and there are some students that really struggle with the hustle and bustle of the uni campus.

You have probably seen that this was something I managed to achieve late last year at Sheffield, albeit at night-time and evening union events. Daytime facilities are already provided 9am-6pm through a number of places including a TV lounge and a prayer room. Quiet rooms will be subject to review each year.

I would expect such a facility to be secure and discrete from other people. It should be monitored so not any old joe bloggs can monopolise the system. Maybe a water machine would be handy. Television. Maybe the odd computer.

If you need any assistance with this in other ways I'll be happy to make suggestions.

Edited by CEJesson

A soft clean carpet to sit on (when I'm really stressed out, I prefer to sit on the floor - I feel more grounded somehow - but our student room has dirty carpet tiles - not nice). Soft furnishings, cushions. Be careful with the colours you choose for walls, floors, furnishings, any pictures put up - don't let the Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen types near with their paint-brushes or MDF!!!!

Large windows allowing natural light to the extent that you can often get away without artificial light (but not so people can look in - maybe on the 1st floor or above)?

Think about who else uses the building and where noise might carry from.

A door that doesn't slam.

Tea making facilities so people can chill without having to leave the room when at risk of overload.

NO ringing telephone.

Explicit rules about others using phones, MP3 players etc.

Would be really nice to link to a quiet space outside too :)

It depends what sort of requirements you want. If you are wanting people to chill out and use the space in many different ways.

If it is purely a calming environment then please ignore my suggestion of televisions etc.

It is mostly a calming area where people can eat their lunch and go when feeling overwhelmed. There is a dedicated space at the back of the library for disabled students that has computers, so they aren't needed. :) The uni bought a big plot from the neighbouring hp land which will effectively double the size of the campus, lots of new buildings and such so various people are being consulted about what can be put in. I may suggest that we try and find something on a temporary basis while the new facilities are being built as this won't be finished for a few years.

Edited by ScienceGeek

It is mostly a calming area where people can eat their lunch and go when feeling overwhelmed.

lots of boxes to sit in then. i HATE the smell and sound of other peoples food. cheesy wotsits, egg sandwiches and apples and cheese and onion crisps, urgh. i consider these to be anti-social foods which either smell very strongly or make horrible noises and i go nuts when people eat them around me. from my point of view perhaps a food room and a seperate room for actual relaxing would be essential, otherwise it would be just as unpleasant as anywhere else.

at the american university they had study pods. they were little sectioned off areas with a desk, lamp and seat in the library. they blocked sound out, so that you weren't disturbed by anyone, had an electrical outlet so you could bring a laptop, or read a book or whatever else you felt like doing without being disturbed by what other people were doing. anyone could use them (but the culture for actual study is much stronger there, it probably wouldn't be used appropriately here if everyone could access it)

different things annoy different people and it would be hard to design a space that is universally suitable. for example if the room is intended for disabled students, but is on the second floor there will either need to be a lift opening into it, or an electric door, both of which make a lot of noise, so would be irritating to AS people, but essential for someone in a wheelchair. if its on the ground floor, the electric door would still be needed AND you'd have people peering in the windows which is another pet hate.

converse to mumbles comment, for me a wooden floor would be preference, i hate the noise of things scraping against carpet. light neutral colours, NO pictures on the walls, both hard and soft furniture. i wouldn't sit on soft furniture for choice, its a dirt and germs thing, i prefer stuff i can think has been washed down!

It is mostly a calming area where people can eat their lunch and go when feeling overwhelmed. There is a dedicated space at the back of the library for disabled students that has computers, so they aren't needed. :) The uni bought a big plot from the neighbouring hp land which will effectively double the size of the campus, lots of new buildings and such so various people are being consulted about what can be put in. I may suggest that we try and find something on a temporary basis while the new facilities are being built as this won't be finished for a few years.

If it's for eating lunch as one purpose, you need to have two rooms with a good door between as the smell of some food can cause sensory issues in itself.

And something temporary sounds like a good idea, especially if there's going to be lots of noise on campus from building works.

All the ideas are great so far and very welcome. I will also suggest that an open call for more suggestions be done via the disability service. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would benefit from this considering the size of the uni. Perhaps a room that is divided into two, one half being an area to eat, drinking facilities and such. The second area having a combination of soft and hard furnishings? Soundproofing? In a quieter part of the building.

I deff agree about must have seperate room for eating, i would say it would have to be completely seperate and not just one room devided in two, but thats just my personal opinion.

if quiet room is purely for 'relaxing' i would suggest chairs both soft and plastic to suit diff preferances, also some sort of dividers maybe? providing a bit of privacy/security, it would be rather awkward with a couple of ppl sitting in an empty room looking at eachother! Deff no eating in the room tho.