Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

Education welfare

Hi,

I had EWO visit today. ds has been out of school 10 days..... is this normal?

I have removed him whilst waiting for new school to sort out paperwork and lsa. I was not prepared to lie to school and say he was ill as I 100% believe I am doing the right thing for my son by not allowing him to go back to old school, so when I had a call from the ht I said he was not coming back.

Now today whislt we were out feeding the ducks I had a note through the door from EWO asking me to ring asap.... as soon as I got home I called and the welfare officer came 10 mins later. Very nice woman and I explained why he was off but I am shocked after ten days I had a visit.

This is all so stressfull and I am upset I feel under the microscope for not sending ds to school with good reason!

I am happy that welfare are on the ball as I am aware they need to make sure children are safe and well, but if it makes any sence at all I felt hurt. ds is not at school through no fault of our own and I am just doing what is best for him......

WEO is going to get on to new school to try to hurry things up, but I just feel a bit sad that as a parent how much hassel I have to go through to get what ds needs and deserves

Hi, I am pleased that the EWO is going to hurry the process of the new school up and that she understands why he is at home, it sounds like she is supporting you, here you get an EWO after about five days, so 10 is been reasonable, it may go on attendance, if attendance falls below 90 percent then an EWO is arranged. Its to ensure attendance levels are high.

It depends on areas so it maybe attendance of 87percent, then you would get a visit from an ewo to look into why, they have a duty to support the child back into education it maybe an older sibling is helping with child care and shopping, or a child is suffering mental health difficulties or there needs are simply not met or they cant travel to school, they help with these kinds of things.

I would just ensure that they know why he is at home and keep a diary, and the dates of the visits.

JsMum

Hi.I think the trigger point for EWO visit probably depends on the policy of your local authority.In my area there are agreed documented protocols that are followed as standard.

It sounds as though they are being supportive which is good.Karen.

Ours is coming to us tomorrow along with the ed psych. Marcus had 5 days off and then it was decided that she should have a phased return to school, but it is not going well and Marcus is very stressed by the whole ordeal not sure how much longer he will be going. To be honest i called them as I wanted to be honest with them I wish i hadn,t bothered because she wasn,t very supportive saying i should make ammends with school and send him back. She was also very nosy regarding our personal life. Will see what tomorrow brings and will let you know.