Sign in to follow this  
gemgems77

ados exam

we saw the pead today and has said for ds to have a ados assesment ,has anyone had this ?and how did they get on ....

Hi.Ben had one.It is a series of activities using various props which is administered by a professional trained to do it.The activities are designed to bring out any ASD type behaviours .It takes about an hour and a half.One of the activities involved Ben showing how he would wash his face,brush hair etc when getting ready in the morning.Another involved putting pictures in a sequence to make up and tell a story.

The professional observes each activity and keeps a note of the score.Karen.

Hi.Ben had one.It is a series of activities using various props which is administered by a professional trained to do it.The activities are designed to bring out any ASD type behaviours .It takes about an hour and a half.One of the activities involved Ben showing how he would wash his face,brush hair etc when getting ready in the morning.Another involved putting pictures in a sequence to make up and tell a story.

The professional observes each activity and keeps a note of the score.Karen.

aye, my kyle had one in may. they look at several categories (like communication, interaction, motor skills, etc) and then introduce them to a few tasks and ask questions and basically play with them whilst taking notes on what they do. the have sub-categories too (like eye contact, facial expression etc) and mark each of these as a score (0 for normal, 1 for slightly abnormal and 2 for clerly abnormal) they then tally these scores up and the if the total number they have is higher than the cut off score for autism spectrum.....it indicates that they MAY have an ASD. ofc this isn't the only assessment used but it is apparently very accurate. my son was on his BEST behaviour during this test (and most of his AS only really shows when he is having a 'naughty moment') and he still scored a few points above the AS cut off.

they also look at and score behaviour shown during the assessment that they didnt plan lol. it isn't all tasks. my son took a little fluffy chick, like those ones you stick to easter bonnets, and he was constantly refering back to it telling people that they love his chick :D it helped them see a more natural side to his AS. as i imagine doing the tasks can make a child anxious. although it was very clam when we did it....was just playing really.