Sign in to follow this  
smiley

Rage cycles?? 24hr meltdown...

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit flummoxed, and could do with some help....

I'm supporting a mum who's little lad (ASD, 4) keeps having very long 'meltdowns'....... the latest lasting 24 hours!

He doesn't want to be touched, but doesn't want to be left alone, screeching & running, can't settle to anything.....

Anyone have similar - or any clues about how to deal with it, or calm him??

Calpol has been tried.... i was wondering if he was poorly, or in pain...

:wacko:

Hi smiley , is he verbal or using pecs , is he able to communicate?...........if it were my son I,d be reducing all sensory stuff, darkened room, silence etc, fave dvd on tv massage or other stimulus to calm him.Then once settled etc I,d be trying to get to the root of the problem if he is able to offer any input into what, or has , or is upsetting him.Will he settle with lights or soft textures etc??........how much understanding does he have?

To be honest I don't think calpol is any good in many cases it is full of sweeteners and colours, it sends my NT dd loopy. I like rescue remedy for them I often add a bit in for me too.

We used to have the kids special drink a juice bottle with a bit of rescue remedy and if things were too much I used to get her to sip it slowly.

Is there a safe place she can move him to so he cant hurt himself, some foam pada or a duvet attached to the wall with a bean bag of the floor might work, I'm looking into a weighted blanket or lap pad for my son would this work? If he was sat on the bean bag with the lap pad over and some calming music low lights a fiddle toy, my son also likes watching bubble tubes and larva lamps.

I,d perhaps try just a few basic pecs cards with him, (if not using already), have 3 cards one red, one yellow, one green.The colour cards can be used to show when something is starting, yellow nearly over , and red finish.These might help if he,s getting worked up waiting his turn, or waiting in a queue etc.I,d use pec symbols for time out ,quiet place , just basic stuff initially. see if it helps,what is his level of understanding?.........how much input from SALT is she getting?

The reason for the 48 hour meltdown.............. ear infections *ouchie*

Got some anti-biots now (tho you'd have thought i was asking for the earth, just to get a GP to go over.. :wallbash: ).

So, hopefully, little one will be feeling better soon :thumbs:

Suze............ no help/support/anything...........and he's one of 3 - all on the spectrum.. :wallbash:

>:D<<'>

Had similar probs with my son at that age, if he felt hot, ie had a temp, then I,d give him medised as a matter of course, he was plagued with ear infections too, every time a cold appeared so did an ear infection.