Sign in to follow this  
NobbyNobbs

DLA tribunal?

on friday an open(!) brown A4 envelope landed on the doorstep. it was a copy of everything i have sent to the DLA, along with a letter saying that that was what they had sent to the appeal tribunal person. the letter said that they would contact me later to say what was going on.

... what is going on? does this mean i have to go to tribunal now, and what happens at the tribunal? i'm having trouble getting together my medical evidence. the doctor wont write a letter because she doesn't know what to put in it. we've established they filled out the official medical form wrong, but we haven't got further than that! i'm worried i'll go there and they'll say i have no evidence, but i dont know how to get it! a lot of the things i'm arguing about aren't 'big' issues, but put together they mean i have a lot of care needs. noone will write anything because individually they are minor, but combine my inability to sleep at night, the self-harm and the tendency to put things dangerous things that feel good in my bed and you get my parents looking in on me 3 times a night! but on their own they're not seen as major problems, so noone wants to comment on them.

i'm also worried i'll either go there and not be able to say what i need to, or i'll be so focused that i say things very well and they wont believe i have problems.

i'm not interested in the money side of all of this, i already have lower rate. i needed to get the DLA because it is required as proof of disability for so many other things. the letters they send out saying 'you need this, you dont need this' are saying i dont need help for reasons that are wrong. thats what i'm fighting against, i dont care if i stay on the level i'm on, i just dont want the forms to say things that aren't true. for example they say i am not at risk of self harm, when i am. they say i need help to communicate in one section, but then that i dont need help to ask for directions when i'm out. stupid things like that.

so how do you get evidence of things when noone understands why you need it? they dont say they can't say i have the problems, they know i do, but just dont see why they need to give evidence of it for this.

Hi

Im afraid I don't know much about tribunals etc but do you have anyone to help you with this? sounds like you need support through this to make your points known without you feeling stressed over it all. These dla forms are so difficult to fill in!

good luck

for example they say i am not at risk of self harm, when i am. they say i need help to communicate in one section, but then that i dont need help to ask for directions when i'm out. stupid things like that.

So where it thier evidence to prove you are not a risk to self harm, they are persuming this, dont worry, it is stanarised computerised repeated sentences they say to thousands, they dont know you from adam, and they dont understand the minors make a major combined.

Have you said that you are appealing.

The bundle only comes back when your appealing.

You will defo need a representative to help you go throw it, you could write a letter to your local MP about your situation who will refer you to a welfare rights officer who will help you throw the sections and go with you to appeal.

The appeal is a panel of people of say three different proffessionals and though its is quite daunting it gives you the opportunity to give your experience of your disabilitie/difficulties.

National Autistic Society also have welfare rights and can be accessed throw the NAS Helpline.

Community Legal Service Direct helped me fight for my sons Educational needs, they also help with Benefits too if you meet the legal aid criteria so do give these a try too.

Free, Independant and Confidential advice.

www.clsdirect.org.uk

0845 345 4 345

Mon-Fri 9am-5pm

I wish you the best of luck, many people bow out once the brown letter hits the mat because the fear of rejection and going throw the battle so dont give up, go all the way.

JsMum