bid

Face blindness

I know I have prosopagnosia. I've seen Ian, I've got my green specs which do work (but I don't wear them after someone took the p*ss at work :(:shame: )...

But I just feel so rubbish :tearful:

I went to pick D up from school. When I got to the gates I saw a man smiling at me with a little boy who I thought had the same hat as D. I didn't recognise either of them.

They were D's class teacher and D :(:tearful: I manage OK when I'm expecting to see someone because I concentrate on looking for distinctive things like hair, etc. But because I wasn't expecting to see D and his teacher at the gate I didn't have a clue until they spoke to me :(

I was in tears all the way home because I feel so useless. I try so hard all the time, and then something like this makes me realise how much of my life is a pretence :(

Sorry for the self-indulgence, just feel so bum :(

Bid :tearful:

I think you need lots of these to start with. >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'> I just want to say you are not useless. The person who was incentive to you at work is useless.

Next time you are work if you feel brave you should approach this person and tell them you were upset by their comments and explain why you wear them. Hopefully they will feel really embarrassed and ashamed and have the decency to apologies.

Have some more >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'> .

Hope you feel better soon and are able to start wearing your glasses as they do make a difference.

This might not help but I have friends and my kids friends who think it is really cool to have coloured lenses and want to know what they have to do to get them.

I have to say my mother didn't recognise me once when she picked me up from the station after a looong trip away of whole week.

>:D<<'>

Think you should wear your glasses.

Aw, Bid, poor you..... >:D<<'>

Don't be so hard on yourself, it must be terribly frustrating when this happens but try and take comfort form the fact that you have a circle of family and friends who accept and love you, warts, propspag prospropprag....

poor facial recognition and all! You don't have to pretend with them, cos they know how little it counts for, in the scheme of things. Not to belittle your feelings, but to me, it's the same as accepting that your OH/Mum/Pal etc has, say, a gammy leg, so you might alter things in order to help them out a bit......take a different route, take the car instead of walking.......

If it's any consolation, I don't have propo thingy, and I do similar things all the time. In fact, just this week, I made a right twit of myself, because we've had 4 work experience schoolies in for a week each....They all looked alike, young, trendy, had similar choppy-sideparting-fringey type hairdos.......Then on the last day for the last 2 schoolies, they asked if they could go to the nursery till home time. 'Sure thing!' sez I, leading the way confidently. I opened the door, asked the HT if it was cool for them to join in, then noticed another young lady, immersed in leading a craft project at a table, surrounded by kids.

'Leah!' said I, surprised, 'What are you doing here??'

She gave me one of those looks that scream 'I want to back away cos I think you might be rather mental, but as you've asked, what the heck are you talking about???' and said

'I'm not Leah. I'm Kimberley, and I'm here every day for the next 5 weeks, remember??'

:blink:

:oops:

Arrgh, arrgh!!! Ground, swallow me now, pleeease?? No??.....Ah......#giggles self-consciously#......

'Heh heh...heh.....ahem....So you are, silly me, what was I thinking? Haha.....I'll be off now then, shall I???'

And I bid a most hasty exit to the loo, where I hid till my furious blush had disappeared......

I thought Kim was the previous week's work experience schoolie.....I don't see a lot of her, on a dday-to-day basis, but I should have known.....

I know its not the same as what happened to you, but I do sympathise.......

Have a >:D<<'> , then go get a biccie and a nice, hot cuppa. (There may even be some old HobNobs lurking in the Batcave! (Just avoid BD's old cossie, he NEVER had it cleaned and its been in there, mouldering, for a long time now. The cossie that is, not Badders....just in case anyone was wondering.... :whistle: )

quote name='Diane' date='Feb 4 2009, 03:49 PM' post='247748']

Next time you are work if you feel brave you should approach this person and tell them you were upset by their comments and explain why you wear them. Hopefully they will feel really embarrassed and ashamed and have the decency to apologies.

I totally agree with Diane- I'm fairly sure the miscreant would be utterly mortified if they realised they'd mocked a medical condition!! Anyway, who cares what they think? I bet you look fab in them. Hold your head high, girlie, and wear 'em with pride.

Esther x

Bid, perhaps if I share a prosopagnosic moment of my own it will make you laugh.

A few months ago I saw my boss in town. I said, "hello Jerry," and he looked at me funny and carried on walking. I thought, "how rude," and then I realised it was actually Nick Knowles and I had just called him Jerry.

:lol: Oh that did make me laugh Tally!

Enoch Powell once failed to recognise his wife because she was wearing a different hat.

I don't have face blindness bid, but have had many cringeworthy moments with getting peoples names about as wrong as I could, or forgetting them altogether >:D<<'>

Edited by pearl

Felt even more rubbish when I failed to recognise the head teacher this morning :(

Tally: ooooh, does your boss really look like Nick Knowles?? :wub::lol: (Another Propa Man Bloke ;) )

Bid :hypno:

Bid

Maybe this is one pretence you should drop with the people you come into contact with regularly? If you explained to the HT and class teacher next time you get a chance they might be surprised and a bit baffled at first but at least then you wouldn't have to dread this kind of embarrassment every time you walked into the school.

K x

I always thought my boss looked like Hugh Laurie, but after that day I realised he also looks a bit like Nick Knowles as well, but with more grey.