Kathryn

Why does my tea taste so foul???

Our kettle packed up a couple of weeks ago when we had all that snow (I don't think the two events were related). That's an emergency in our house as I need a fairly continuous supply of tea to keep me functioning through the day. So I bought a kettle to replace it, and thought I had got a bargain, a well known, reputable make reduced from �49.99 to �20.99.

But the water tastes horrible when it's boiled - A kind of chemical taste which I can only describe it as similar to swimming pool water. :sick: The kettle is metal and has the same smell on the inside. One week on it's still as strong as ever. Any ideas on how to get rid of this taste, before I chuck it out and get yet another kettle? :angry:

I just want a decent cuppa! :crying:

K x

We get this sometimes but I generally rinse the kettle out and try again - it's usually okay second time round. My neighbour says it's the water supply. Have you tried boiling some in a saucepan to see if it is definitely the kettle rather than your water? Good luck, I know how foul it is.

Barefoot

If you live in a hard water area that's probably all it is. My water supply is very similar. My guess is that over time you got 'tuned' to the flavour (or maybe the local water supply deteriorated over the life of your old kettle) and stopped noticing it, and that when you got the new kettle your tastedbuds were on the look-out for any changes. I never notice how my tea tastes these days, but other people who only visit occassionally do. Another things - at the mo your lovely new element isn't furred up and attracting all the lime actually in the water. Once you've broken it in it will!

Top Tip - drink wine all day. :lol:

:D

When ever i get a new kettle it always says to fill it and boil once or twice before using it for drinking, but I alays do it at least 5 times. When i lived in germny we used to get terrible lime sale and we'd pop a baby's sterilising tablet in to soak overnight. i tried this on a kettle tht had the same problem as yours does and it did the trick. Hope this helps.........I know what a disaster awful tea can be ;)

New kettles have a residue in them, don't they. I think they say you should put a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda into a full kettle and boil it and then empty and boil again and it should take the coating away.

~ Mel ~

Thanks for suggestions. :)

I thought the taste was beginning to improve a bit, but my other half said it wasn't, and he went out and bought a new plastic kettle yesterday. The water tastes absolutely fine from the new one, so it was definitely this particular kettle!

It also had a very annoying fiddly lid and was heavy- no wonder the price was reduced!

K x

glad you have it sorted now and can enjoy a good cuppa