suz

Hi, I'm new...

Hi, I'm Suz.

I've joined this forum because I think I may have asperger's.

I'm going to post in the beyond adolesance forum soon, please feel free to read my post and offer any advice you may have.

Thanks.

Suz

Hello,i'm new too and think I may have AS. i have a son dx aspie, a daughter undx aspie and a NT daughter and partner. I've only been a member of this site a few weeks but it's given me some insight and made me feel a abit better about a few things. i hope you get the same x

Hi, I'm Suz.

I've joined this forum because I think I may have asperger's.

I'm going to post in the beyond adolesance forum soon, please feel free to read my post and offer any advice you may have.

Thanks.

Suz

Hi Suz

My name is Mary and I am 25 years old. I am Irish and I have Asperger's myself. I read that you may have it too. I actually spotted the condition in myself during my school years when I spotted the same symptoms I was displaying in another girl with the condition in a woman's magazine. I was finally diagnosed in 2007 and I have been doing splendidly. If you think you have Asperger's like me you should go to the doctor, tell him/her your symptoms, and get a definite diagnosis. I did just that and it has been the biggest turning point of my life ever since

Good Luck

Mary ( Mauneen)

Hi there

Thanks to all those who have replyed, it's good to know there are people out there who understand, I feel much less alone now.

Hi Suz

My name is Mary and I am 25 years old. I am Irish and I have Asperger's myself. I read that you may have it too. I actually spotted the condition in myself during my school years when I spotted the same symptoms I was displaying in another girl with the condition in a woman's magazine. I was finally diagnosed in 2007 and I have been doing splendidly. If you think you have Asperger's like me you should go to the doctor, tell him/her your symptoms, and get a definite diagnosis. I did just that and it has been the biggest turning point of my life ever since

Mary... I'm glad you have found getting a diagnosis to be helpful, unfortunately it's very idfficult to get one where I live so I may have to pay to get one privately. I hope you don't mind me asking... how did you find that it turned your life around?? I'm a bit worried that if I do it will just make matters worse!!

Thanks again you guys... ;)

Suz X

Hi there

Thanks to all those who have replyed, it's good to know there are people out there who understand, I feel much less alone now.

Mary... I'm glad you have found getting a diagnosis to be helpful, unfortunately it's very idfficult to get one where I live so I may have to pay to get one privately. I hope you don't mind me asking... how did you find that it turned your life around?? I'm a bit worried that if I do it will just make matters worse!!

Thanks again you guys... ;)

Suz X

TBH it's a very personal thing but I found that nice I'd been diagnosed I 'knew'. I had a reason why I was 'different' and that made a big difference (to me anyway). I'd no longer beat myself up for not being able to do something (well, I wouldn't beat myself up as much) as I could say to myself 'well you have a problem with <whatever> - either accept that it'll be hard, avoid it, or think of a way around it'. Things in the past made sense and, although hard to accept at times, it's something of a relief to know that you don't have to, for example, keep trying to go to nightclubs - you can't do it so you don't need to feel bad about it. Questions such as 'Why don't I do that?', 'Why don't I react or respond like other people?', 'Why do I feel like I don't belong?' become clear and make sense.

I found that it also becomes a great 'defence' at times. If you can put a name to what/how you are, people will often accept that a lot better than them just assuming that you're awkward (in effect 'I'm not just being awkward, I'm AS'). Some people simply won't 'get it' (I won't lie) but some people will have that 'eureka' moment and think 'Aha, that explains...'. All of a sudden there's the 'missing piece of the jigsaw' and many of the things that you do/have done that have baffled and confused them will suddenly make sense now that they're seen in a different light. I found it also comes in handy when having to deal with medical people (well some medical people) and it becomes easier to say 'I'm sorry, I don't understand - I'm AS' rather than just nod and let them ask you questions such as 'how do you feel?' and get frustrated when you go into detail about how the central nervous system works :rolleyes: (:lol:).

It will raise a lot of new questions but I found that I was a lot happier as there was a reason why I was how I am. I'm still 'different' to most people (and always will be) but now I 'belong', I know what I am, and I, in a way, know what I have to deal with.

I won't lie, a diagnosis can throw your world into confusion and you may go through a lot of highs and lows (I've been through them and I know other Aspies who have too). There are adjustments to make and, from personal experience, 'phases' that you'll go through. When you get through them life becomes so much 'calmer' and, for me anyway, a lot fo the stresses of the past no longer apply (OK you'll have a bunch of new ones but I'm beginning to think that that's just life and we're put on this ball of mud to be stressed :lol:).

Hi TheNeil

It's really interesting to know how you have found getting a dx helpful, thanks for sharing that. I'm still not sure but I shall decide in my own time (if my mother doesn't decide for me first!!!) :wallbash:

I have to say this site is a real inspiration, and helps a lot in knowing we are not alone. I shall definately stick around.

Thanks all...

Suz