Sign in to follow this  
peaches

How did your children cope with a new school?

Moving house is going to be almost inevitable soon, and it will be at such a distance that commuting will take too long at that time in a morning, especially with two younger siblings in tow. I am happy so far with what might be our new school, having visited, chatted, and also done some research with a local. I have also chatted to our clinical psychologist about it. Her opinion is, if you keep his routine as similar as possible he may not mind so much. However, last year he got really attached to the classroom assistant and it was difficult when he went up a class with different staff, so Im expecting some problems.

Long term, the prospects are good as there is a secondary school with an autism unit nearby, as well as a special school for 7 and over ASD children, and a NAS school in easy reach in new area. http://www.autism.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1024 But I had thought we would keep him in mainstream if possible.

I just wondered how your ASD child coped with a school move. Any horror stories or surprises?

Edited by peaches

We moved last summer. New school new LEA.

We had talked about moving for a long time so it was something that our son was expecting. Before we moved we let him go onto his new schools web site where there is a lot about the school including pictures of the teachers and games to play. So by the time we moved he really felt it was his school and was looking forward to going there.

We ended up moving with 8 days before the end of the summer term, the school wanted him to start right away so he could get to know the school before the holiday.

The head teacher matched him up to a teacher that she felt would be best.

We were a little concerned how it would work out , one thing was that he was coming from a small school to a big school but as it turns out it is a much better school. We didn't think there was anything wrong with his old school but we now realise that they were not really meeting his needs. His new school is so much better it is unbelievable, the school just have much higher expectations of their children.

Right from the start he liked his new school and the staff have done a lot to help him settle in. Because there are a number of military basis nearby, the school is use to having new starters, which I think helped.

As I have said to my wife "I not sure if it is a good or bad sign when all the staff now you, the parents, by sight"

Overall it has been a positive thing.