Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

New Mentor

I'm meeting a new mentor tomorrow, apparently she is really experienced and has worked with students with an ASD before. She will be standing in while my mentor is still off sick from his operation :( I'm really nervous about it though, I really wanted to wait it out until my mentor came back but we don't know when that will be and there is some urgent stuff that needs sorting. ARGH change :unsure: Obviously I'm not blaming anybody as there is nothing anybody could do about it.. Just needed to vent that bit of anxiety. :whistle:

Edited by ScienceGeek

Isn't it ironic how something that is supposed to be helpful makes you so nervous!

I hope it turns out to be worth the nerves. It sounds like this person has a lot of experience, so that is a good sign.

Isn't it ironic how something that is supposed to be helpful makes you so nervous!

I hope it turns out to be worth the nerves. It sounds like this person has a lot of experience, so that is a good sign.

Yeah I know! It's just the case of getting to know a new person after having the same mentor for 1.5 years.

Thanks.

Hi SG, I hope it goes/is going OK. This is very like something I've been shouting (not literally - just polite emails, but shouting in my head) at my disability service. They just don't 'get' that their job doesn't end at finding someone but includes (and perhaps more importantly) supporting my in the initial meeting and beginnings of the student/mentor or student/befriender relationship. Just saying, "Your befriender is Mrs X, go and meet her" and leaving me to get on with it, isn't going to work - I'll be a gibbering baboon long before the meeting.

Is there someone you know from the disability service who can go with you just to take some of the pressure off you in the initial stages?

Now of course, if an Aspie were in charge they would have set up a meeting with you, new mentor and old mentor before he went to hospital so that information and best ways of working with you could be passed on and you could get to know the new person whilst feeling that you had support to help you in developing the new relationship. Support would be continuous and comfortable. But hey, hindsight and all that...

Anyway, at least you have a mentor (two mentors even :o) - my uni haven't found me one suitable one yet!!! :wallbash:

It went ok, a bit awkward at first but she was very understanding. I have a small achievable list of goals to do this week and she is going to chase up some things that need sorting.

This week went ok, although I wasn't happy about how she made me feel guilty about wanting to go to the NAS quiet group instead of a lecture. I know it isn't right but that group is a lifeline to me and keeps me relatively sane, surely missing 1 lecture a month in exchange for my sanity is worth it. :unsure: