Sign in to follow this  
NobbyNobbs

no room in my brain

i have a university assignment due soon. it is a completely different style of paper to the usual. i have to use a different way of writting, a different structure, and a different method of reference.

i have to apply a theory of analysis to some documents (words, not numbers). i have read the theory, and understand the theory. i then go to apply it to the documents and my mind blanks. i can completely understand the concept applied to the examples in the explanation, but i absolutely cannot apply it to the documents i'm meant to be analysing. i wind up crying because i cannot do the work, and this means i will fail the course, and therefore not graduate this year. i have tried my best, i've reread the theory document about 15 times now, but it just doesn't stay making sense.

does anyone else have this? is it an aspergers thing, or just a me being stupid thing?

the last time i had this complete block was when i was learning my times tables... and 17 years on i still dont know them, so its not looking good!

I do the same thing, and get the same sort of block I usually get my hubby tell him what I am supposed to be doing and he helps me get started with the whatever. Usually once I get started I am usually fine. Do you have someone like this you can get to give you a start?

Before I had him to start me off, I was exactly like you and used to sit crying because my mind would go completely blank. I don't know what else to advise, I am not so good with words.

And for what its worth I have advanced Higher Maths and still don't know my times tables!

i will be analysing two of Martin Luther Kings speeches using Kenneth Burkes Dramatism method of rhetorical analysis. i have to apply the dramatistic pentad to the text to analyse its effectiveness as a speech, and also use his theories of identification and god/devil words.

that would all be fine. i can do it verbally explaining it to my mother (who wont understand a word i'm saying, but is a good listener), and then type up what i say by recording it and then taking dictation. however, this paper has to be 4000 words long. i can only see about 1500 words in it without copying out the entire text i'm meant to be analysing. i think what is most throwing me off are the excessive word count - the lecturer gave us examples of past papers which were all only a single page long, and completely covered the topic... my paper will have to be approx 8 pages!! - and the structural differences. i do not understand the method of referencing (APA) that i am meant to be using for this paper. i understand why my normal method (chicago) wouldn't be effective, but that doesn't help me much.

all of this seems to have caused massive brain block and an emotional meltdown. i have a study tutor who i can talk to, but she has never come across a paper like this before, so she can't really help me that much beyond offering general advice.

ive contacted the university disability office (as required by my contract with the university) and they have contacted my department, who are yet to get back to me (its only been half a day so i'm not bothered by that). i will wait to see if they can give any suggestions. i might ask if i can write the paper with chicago references, as all the change is a big problem. if i lose a few marks for it, but can get the paper in, thats gotta be better than nothing being submitted at all and would free up a bit of stress space to get my thoughts moving (hopefully)

after i get this paper in, i have another deadline the week after! i can't afford to get stressed this term, i have 6 4000 word papers to get done in 3 months

Sorry to ask Mumble...but does this make sense to you??

:lol: :lol: Well sort of, but one decision I made soon after my dx (once I understood/had a reason - not so much using my autism, but understanding myself) was not so subject myself to the language analysis group seminars/workshops or to include this in depth in my work as I was frequently ending up in tears of frustration at not being able to understand what was going on. I remember one workshop very clearly where we had to take apart a Barbar (the elephant) story and I just sat bemused at what others were saying and slowly 'doing a chameleon' in order not to be noticed against the wallpaper and hopefully not be picked on.

Anyway, I digress. Basically, you're being asked/assessed as to whether you can apply a method to the text. From what you've said, you clearly understand the pentad and can pick out the five aspects - act, scene, agent, agency, purpose - from the text. I think recording and dictating is a way to start. Your main difficulty seems to be with writing enough. To think positively, being able to say something concisely will be a great quality in the future!! I would suggest that you don't think of it as 4000 words but break it into the sections and give each a word count. Now I don't know what's required from you so this is only a guide, but writing out something like:

Introduction: 150 words

Method of analysis: 350 words

Act: 500 words

Scene: 500 words

Agent: 500 words

Agency: 500 words

Purpose: 500 words

Discussion (how do elements relate, why are they used as they are, how successful are they, are there similar examples in other speeches, how have the structures used been applied in the present day etc.): 750 words

Conclusion: 250 words

You can then set yourself writing targets and don't view it as 4000 words until you put it together and make sure it flows. I have to write 100,000 :o words, so this is a method I have to use - it would simply not be possible for me to start at the beginning and work through.

As for APA, I use this and having used it for several years I don't have a problem, but initially I did and many students struggle with it. If you're really struggling, I would strongly suggest that you invest in bibliographic software. As a student this will cost you about �70 although you might be able to get it from your disability department. This basically does it all for you and has all the main referencing systems in its database (or you can add your own) so you don't have to think about this. I wish I'd had this when I started and I certainly wouldn't be without it now.

Given that you have several things that need doing, it sounds as if the getting started on one and not fretting about the others is a bigger problem rather than the individual pieces. This is a very similar problem to that which I have. I find writing out a list of the main tasks and subdividing these so I know what I need to do helps, and then each night before bed, I write out exactly which tasks I will do the next morning/afternoon. Otherwise I would sit and fret and nothing would get done!! :lol:

thank you so much Mumble!

i can adapt your plan to my papers needs, and that will make it so much easier (its what i dont have for this one. i have a plan for my normal historical discussion papers, but that wont work for this). in fact i only need to have 250 word blocks, because the two speeches are completely different, and no comparison is asked, so i should keep them apart i think until the conclusion when i can say one is better than the other because...

splitting it down into small amounts works like a dream for me, i get so daunted by long word counts, until this year with the special plan i had never submitted a paper within 1000 words of the word count!!

i hate language analysis too, it just confuses me so much, but i'm doing THREE classes with it this term. in order to make up enough credits to graduate in july i'm having to do every module running in my department, so couldn't eliminate the nasty ones.

i think i'm back on track now, so thank you guys so much. i'm going to write up Mumbles plan in some more detail, then get started. if i put a rush on it i can still get a draft sent to the lecturer before 5, which is the deadline for getting a draft checked (with an appology for pushing to the deadline of course!)

wooo!! just got an email sent to all students doing this module stating we can use any method of reference we like. i guess other students were having trouble with APA too - we've always used chicago, and it is the official method of the department.

i've now written 1000 words, am about to send them off as a partical draft to see if shes happy with the style, theres very little analysis so far, but if the style is right, i think i'm sorted.

Mumble, your plan is fantastic, i've never written a paper so fast!

the deadline isn't until next wednesday, so at this rate i've got time to proof-read and redo it - another thing i've never been able to do!

i'm going to see if i can book in an extra tutoring slot, as my tutor is coming tomorrow this week instead of friday, so i wont have a complete paper by then. i have several other small assignments with deadlines tomorrow so i can't carry on with the paper after 4

i've got a 2 week extension to hopefully sort it out. i'm sending off what i've done today (official deadline day), and hopefully it'll come back as fine, just in need of more development. i had another crisis yesterday and after lots of crying emailed the disability office who have arrange an extension with the department.

well, its all blown up. i got very ill, and was told by the doctors i wouldn't get any better until i reduced my stress levels as this was what was making the illness worse. so all work is on hold, while the university decide whether they can continue to support me, or if they think it would be best if i just called it a day.

Oh no! I really hope that you are able to carry on, sounds as if you were doing brilliantly!

Mumbles, love your plan, very similar to the one that I always used!