Sign in to follow this  
Rachelp2

Annual Review

Hello,

Just recieved a letter giving me the date for Dan's annual review on May 13th :unsure:

Think I need a bit of advice from others this year as he's now 10 and in yr 5 and believe his statements are a little out of date, and realize that it could do with altering so he gets the attention he needs at mainstream, he will hopefully keep his Band 2 of 27hrs per week 1:1 but would like to think that he can get extra help with social skills, time out of classroom etc.... usually I go along with school and only input a little of my opinion, but feel I wanna go to lengths this year to get the help he really needs :pray:

I'm going to get in touch with my local parent partner scheme that originally helped get the statement 5 yrs ago, so they will be able to help me with this meeting. Just think that now, I need more help then ever before as it will be secondary school in a year and half! Have already been warned to start looking at 2ndary schools, even though he has a yr left at juniours, all of a sudden....alarm bells are starting to ring for me.

Would appreciate any advice, tips, things I should look out for etc... so I can be fully prepared for this Annual Review meeting.

Also can I ask for Dan not to be as included in area's of Dan's problems area's such as Assembly and P.E? Or does he have to go with the National curriculum and participate fully in these difficult area's?

Best Wishes,

Rach x

Hi Rachel,

I'm sure you will get lots of advice on this one. I think taking someone from Parent Partnership is a great idea. Preparation is also the key.

A couple of links that may prove helpful.

Annual review.

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=303&a=6741

Autistic spectrum disorder transition toolkit

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholeschool/sen/asds/

Good luck.

Nellie xx

Hi Rachael, in the exact same position as you.We have our yr5 annual review on weds this week and I,m getting nervous.I was advised by my LEA to look at my 2 local high schools as "every child should be able to have an inclusive mainstream education".One seemed to have some idea of ASD as they already have an AS child in year 7.The other HS was c%$�"p.I also looked at an LEA HS 12miles away which this year is opening an ASD unit attached to the HS.The places are limited 1800 pupils and 6 places in the unit.What appealed to me about this school was the ASD teacher was well qualified (like talking to a parent who also had an ASD child).She is able to arrange a curriculum to suit each individual child and dissapply them from subjects.(without going through the LEA).She also teaches social skills if needed etc and arranges SALT if appropriate.This school would be ideal for my son but the issue of limited places worries me.If I were you Rachael I,d try to see as many High Schools as pos before the annual review and in particular those with resourced units attached, they could be MLD units, ASD, etc.Good luck.

can I ask for Dan not to be as included in area's of Dan's problems area's such as Assembly and P.E? Or does he have to go with the National curriculum and participate fully in these difficult area's?

Your son's headteacher has the authority to excuse a pupil with Special Educational Needs from all or part of the National Curriculum on a temporary basis. In exceptional cases some pupils, such as those with Statements of Special Educational Needs issued by the LEA, may be excused permanently.

If a pupil is excused (disapplied) from a particular subject the school must provide an alternative measure of support for the child.

Hi,

thanks...Nellie, Suze and Helen,

I'm going to look round a secondary school in the morning, they have 7 children there at present with A.S, the senco asked me to take Dan along and meet these kids and have a chat himself to them, but thought it best I looked 1st then take him if all looks O.K! This particular school is a couple of miles away but may be worth the journey rather than the other mainstream round our corner. I will get to look at others this next week though as I may be surprized?

I got in touch with Parent Partnership too so they will come and meet me this week before the meeting on the 13th.

Pleased you got on o.k too Suze.

Bye for now

Rach x