Sign in to follow this  
LISAA

some help please

:)

Hi

My son who is due to start school in September has just seen the Paediatrician, who has informed us that she thinks he is on the AS, will see her again to confirm in the summer after an appointment with the Opthalmist, as she has concerns abiut he's sight. She also said during the appointment we wouldn't get statementing,

Can anyone tell me can i apply for statementing without a dx, i'm lost

Thanks

Hi LISAA

As far as im aware you can claim DLA, get help with your child in school without getting diagnosis yet. If your child is having difficulty at playschool they should have this all on record. I cant see why you dont get a statement as my son was in nursery when he had help before he was statemented. As long as the teachers etc and anyone else deals with your son i cant see why not. I did not have to apply for my son as he was already having 1:1 support before hand. Im not very good at the education post but all i can say is speak to anyone that deals with your son SALT as i think you said you had 1. It might help speaking to Nellie or any other members as they will give you more advice than i can offer.

Hope it all works out

Amanda

Lisaa

As Helen said in the other thread, it isn't up to the Pediatrician whether you get a statement or not. The pediatrician is part of NHS whilke the statement is an issue for Education which the LEA are responsible for. They pediatrician may have an opinion that you are unlikely to get one, but it is only an opinion.

This site is full of people who have statements for their children. Many of them have been told at one point or another that they would not get a statement.

A statement is done on the basis of a childs needs, not on the basis of a childs diagnosis. That said, a diagnosis is almost invariably useful as it helps to establish what your childs needs are. You can apply for a statement yourself withoutwaiting for a diagnosis.

In the short term you need to work with all the experts to establish what your childs additional needs are, and you should makethe school aware of the fact that you are expecting a diagnosis.

Depending on the severity of your childs needs, it is possible that the LEA will decline to asess immediately and will want to wait and see how school goes. It is important that all additional help that is requested and/or recieved is documented, as this will be invauable if you do decide to apply for a statement.

It can be fightening and bewildering with the amount of stuff that comes at you when you first become aware of autism/ASD. Keep coming here often as you are among friends and it all starts to make more sense after a while!

Simon

B)

Thank you for your kind messages, it is great to feel the support from this site.

I do feel bewildered at the moment and talking to the most geniuine people on here is helping lot.

Thanks

I have taken your knowledge on board and thank you