Sign in to follow this  
bjkmummy

has any one heard the term 'working diagnosis' before?

joe went to cahms on tues. it went well the dr listened to us - hes now going to write for to the school and we are due to see him again in 4 weeks - i asked what would happen next and he said that at thenext meeting after he has looked at all the information he could give us a 'working diagnosis' and then we can take things from there

never heard the term working diagnosis before - has anyone else - got a fear that he may say that joes problems down to parenting and therefore hes just going togive us strategies to cope with him - he did comment that joe was very hyper - i though we would be given questionarries etc to complete but he gave us nothing so im still confused!

joe went to cahms on tues. it went well the dr listened to us - hes now going to write for to the school and we are due to see him again in 4 weeks - i asked what would happen next and he said that at thenext meeting after he has looked at all the information he could give us a 'working diagnosis' and then we can take things from there

never heard the term working diagnosis before - has anyone else - got a fear that he may say that joes problems down to parenting and therefore hes just going togive us strategies to cope with him - he did comment that joe was very hyper - i though we would be given questionarries etc to complete but he gave us nothing so im still confused!

I believe that would mean a provisional diagnosis - that he'll say "Well I think it's probably this..." and will then proceed with interventions in line with that diagnosis but that it will be subject to review and possible revision depending on how things go.

janine

i had a provisional diagnosis before assessment, which is the same as a working diagnosis. it means that they technically can't prove the diagnosis yet, but they're sure enough to begin organizing support and so on which would be based upon a diagnosis. if they were to blame parenting skills, there wouldn't be a diagnosis of anything. they would probably tell you they will continue to look into things.

I suppose its something like a working title for a film or play. Something to fill in the gap until they make a final decision....but usually pretty close to what they end up with.

I thought it meant provisional diagnosis too...my camhs bloke said it too me...I was worried too that he would just blame me n parenting etc....he tried to but didnt get far as he could see me about to blow a gasket lol. :whistle: