Sign in to follow this  
Tally

Sledging???

Does anyone know what this term is supposed to mean?

Some people at work have got into trouble for "sledging," and I don't know what they're supposed to have done.

Even though they have explained what they actually did, I still can't see how it is actually wrong, which is why I would like to understand how to avoid sledging myself.

It's something boys do... (:o). Maybe it's a different use of the term, but I thought it was used in cricket where the fielders taunt the batsman to try to put them off the game and make them miss. Hmm, that doesn't fit your work though unless I've missed a post about a recent change in your occupation :unsure:

I'd just stick to the snow version - far more fun :D

Hi Tally,

I have never heard the expression in the work place before but my immediate thought was that it may be similar to 'coasting' - kind of sliding along without doing anything more than you're supposed to do or possibly even doing less. But I guess it depends what the job is and whether the person is expected to just do what they are told to do or use initiative and do a bit more.

Don't know whether that makes sense or not!

Stella x

isn't that going own a hill in the snow on a sledge

Here are some definitions:

Sledging or "Mental Disintergration" as it is also known is the tactic of talking to players on the opposition side (particularily batsmen, as taking on a whole team in the field is never a good idea) with the objective of destroying either their concentration or their confidence/self esteem. Sledging is practised in a large way by the Australian Cricket Team, but most International teams partake in sledging. Sledging can be merely an opposition player talking constantly to the batsman, but has mostly become known as players swearing and questioning their lineage.

Sledge is British slang for to barrack.

Sledging is sporting slang for heaping insults on an opponent so as to break their concentration.

Verb. To be incapacitated mentally, and consequently physically, from taking drugs.

So possibly definiton 2?