Sign in to follow this  
Daisydot

Detentions - do they work for the ASD child

Yes, it can be hard getting info out of them. They don't seem to have the 'need to share', or even the concept or understanding of things like 'house points'. School have used various strategies as motivators, none of them took into account whether he was interested in stickers/stamp cards etc. And as they tend to have problems with 'whole class instructions' and need to be addressed individually, I can see how 'house points' or 'class trophies' etc probably don't mean anything to them - they may not understand how it is relevant to them, or the concept behind it, or how to get that reward. Motivators that work with my son is when he can have a 'choose time' and he chooses what he wants to do during that time eg. play with a toy he has taken into school from home, or time on the computer etc.

I don't know if other parents have this problem, but my son tends to have difficulties with 'connections'. Eg. he gets them mixed up, or he expects something to happen and it doesn't, or he associates something with something else totally unrelated because it was 'in the environment, or spoken' at the same time. So trying to trace back his thought processes can sometimes be very difficult and quite an eye opener. And words spoken to him or things done to him can be disassociated from the person who did them and his response when someone totally unrelated says or does the same thing can send him into a real state. Or his processing can be so out of time that he can respond to something said or done to him days or even weeks after the event, and he tends to get into trouble for that, when if he had retaliated at the time it happened the other child would probably have got into trouble.