Sign in to follow this  
Tensing

Meeting at school today

For years I have been pestering my daughters schools to assist her and get outside bodies in to assess her, after years of false promises I once again requested a Statutory assessment (5 weeks ago). Strangely with in a week school were happy to meet with me and discuss my daughter, though they think there is nothing wrong with her, and of course the have pupils who are far worse than my daughter .

Well today I am going back to see them again, so they can tell me once again that there is nothing wrong with my daughter.

Next week I will received the letter stating that the LA will not be assessing my daughter as they feel school is coping ( I never expected an assessment without a fight, and told school this when she said there was no point requesting one). I have the letters written ready to support my appeal already.

Anyway school want to know what I want and I have no idea, complete brain freeze. Help!

She is now 12 and has no concept of time, organisation, danger, temperature, or pain. She can not remember what she has done more than about 10 minutes, has been at school since September and does not have a clue what her timetable is. She can not spell to save her life, and she is now showing hearing problems again.

Get in touch with the National Austistic Society's Educational Helpline.

What kind of school is your daughter in?

I presume she has gone through School Action and School Action Plus.

At School Action Plus the school has to invite outside agencies such as Speech and Language Therapist and Educational Psychologist in to assess your daughter.

Their reports should detail her needs and how school should meet those needs.

Unfortunately NHS and LEA staff do not tend to do indepth assessments because the more they find and identify the more it costs their department to fund the support they have recommended.

From your post I would write to her Speech and Language Therapist if she has one, or the school and copy in the Speech and Therapist Department and request that they assess your daughter for difficulties with:-

Executive Function Disorder (google it)

Sensory Integration Disorder (google it, does your daughter appear deaf, or respond differently to sensory stimulus eg. easily distracted by visual things, problems with over or under sensitive hearing, problems with not registering pain or being touch sensitive, problems with balance or co-ordination or handwriting etc).

Problems with auditory processing, auditory memory, working memory.

Semantic Pragmatic Speech Disorder - google it.

Expressive and Receptive language ability.

Comprehension and Inference.

Possible Dyslexia.

Assessments for Cognitive Ability using verbal and non-verbal assessments.

And that is just for starters? Have the SALT and Ed Psych done assessments in those areas?

If you think she has difficulties in those areas then put it in writing to them and ask them to assess.

Does she have a diagnosis of an autistic spectrum disorder? If not ask the NAS about the nearest centre to you that has experience in diagnosing ASDs.

If you are hitting your head against a brick wall, and you have evidence that they have refused your requests for assessments, then you can go and get your own private reports. You need independent professionals who are not employed by the NHS or LEA and who have experience of attending Educational Tribunals as expert witnesses.

Those reports should send you on your way to getting a Statement that is specific and quantifies what she needs in terms of hours of support and staffing arrangements.

Go along to an NAS or Parent Partnership seminar about the Statementing Process. Get a copy of the Code of Practice and SEN Toolkit. Contact the NAS Tribunal service and go to Tribunal. If you have evidence in reports by professionals of her needs and how they should be met, the Tribunal will rule in your favour. The Panel follows Case Law and not LEA's own internal procedures.

Get in touch with the National Austistic Society's Educational Helpline.

What kind of school is your daughter in?

I presume she has gone through School Action and School Action Plus.

At School Action Plus the school has to invite outside agencies such as Speech and Language Therapist and Educational Psychologist in to assess your daughter.

Their reports should detail her needs and how school should meet those needs.

Unfortunately NHS and LEA staff do not tend to do indepth assessments because the more they find and identify the more it costs their department to fund the support they have recommended.

From your post I would write to her Speech and Language Therapist if she has one, or the school and copy in the Speech and Therapist Department and request that they assess your daughter for difficulties with:-

Executive Function Disorder (google it)

Sensory Integration Disorder (google it, does your daughter appear deaf, or respond differently to sensory stimulus eg. easily distracted by visual things, problems with over or under sensitive hearing, problems with not registering pain or being touch sensitive, problems with balance or co-ordination or handwriting etc).

Problems with auditory processing, auditory memory, working memory.

Semantic Pragmatic Speech Disorder - google it.

Expressive and Receptive language ability.

Comprehension and Inference.

Possible Dyslexia.

Assessments for Cognitive Ability using verbal and non-verbal assessments.

And that is just for starters? Have the SALT and Ed Psych done assessments in those areas?

If you think she has difficulties in those areas then put it in writing to them and ask them to assess.

Does she have a diagnosis of an autistic spectrum disorder? If not ask the NAS about the nearest centre to you that has experience in diagnosing ASDs.

If you are hitting your head against a brick wall, and you have evidence that they have refused your requests for assessments, then you can go and get your own private reports. You need independent professionals who are not employed by the NHS or LEA and who have experience of attending Educational Tribunals as expert witnesses.

Those reports should send you on your way to getting a Statement that is specific and quantifies what she needs in terms of hours of support and staffing arrangements.

Go along to an NAS or Parent Partnership seminar about the Statementing Process. Get a copy of the Code of Practice and SEN Toolkit. Contact the NAS Tribunal service and go to Tribunal. If you have evidence in reports by professionals of her needs and how they should be met, the Tribunal will rule in your favour. The Panel follows Case Law and not LEA's own internal procedures.