Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

Triple P.

I am currently taking part in a Triple P programme.

We were asked a question in our last session:

"What physical affection to you currently show your child?"

My answer was

"A Hug. Twice. Because his keyworker was stood right there when I asked him for a hug goodbye."

L physically freezes whenever you try to touch him, or he will move away.

I have gotten used to having no physical affection with him - but I never give up trying. However, the looks and comments I got from others in the group was that of total disbelief. Thankfully his keyworker 'backed' me up and said that he is the same there. My homework this week is to work on giving L a hi-5 whenever he does something well. hmm.

Hi, I participated in a 1-1 Triple P programme and I did the Teenagers Course as it felt J was going throw the Tweenage years, and I did this, now I did enjoy the course HOWEVER there is flaws in the course as it is a Convential parenting course and has no enphesis or understanding when a young person has special needs, many of the stratagies had to be MODIFIED and altered and at times left out as it just wasnt compatable, however the officer that went throw the wonderful DVDs with that patronising man who tells us to LOVE our children like because we dont know how to do that because we are BAD parent! what it did was give evidence that there is love, compasion, attention in my sons life and the as the course had to be so highly moderated she was highly impressed and went away to request the authority buy the Triple p special needs course called stepping stones, there is a full website on Triple P so do look out for the stepping stones addition as this one is more looking at the triggers of our childrens behaviours, not pinning the blame on the parent.

I have a double edge feeling of the Triple P, it was useful in some ways, but Ive never felt so patrinised and BORD stiff with the stupid DVDs that suprisingly showed interaction of children with their families in SUNNY BL U DDY AUSTRAILIA.

I would attend it and just show the proffessionals it isnt suitable for children with special needs, but if you refuse to go they might write it down in reports your an non participant parent.

JsMumxxxx

This particular course is being run by 2 people in L's school, 1 of which knows L very well (don't really want to go into too much detail for obvious reasons).

I have gone into the course knowing that it is an australian originating parenting programme, that in some countries it is actually the course of choice parents are sent on by the courts, that some of the strategies may not be suitable, that in some parts it may be like showing granny how to suck eggs.

I have gone into the course hoping that it might make me think more about how I behave and react, how I can alter/change/implement things should I need to.

I am however finding the videos they show us VERY staged. They could have been done so much better I feel. I am also finding that we are already implementing a lot (Not All!!!) of what they suggest.

It is 'interesting' to hear other people's 'stories'. It is good to be able to suggest something to them that they might not have tried. It is also 'good' to tell our story and have others give us some suggestions too.

You are right though about finishing to course in order to keep the 'professionals' on-side. But then I have 3 nt kids, so what might not work for L through the course, may be useful in dealing with the others. I'm all for giving something a fair go before making any judgements on it.

I did a Triple P run by our parenting partnership and didn't find it that helpful in parenting my Son at all but had some fab tips for my NT daughter lol. Logans school does an adapted version though which relates to children with severe learning difficulties and its tailored for the kids in teh group and it was much more beneficial.

The videos are very very staged though.

Lynne x