Sign in to follow this  
Emma_74

sounding off

Hi sorry about this but i just need a good rant!

Why does it take so long for the "professionals" to be able to make a dx?

My 14 year old son finally got dx on Monday, this is after 7 years of going backwards and forwards to CAHMS, me telling them the same things over and over again!! :wallbash::wallbash:

The thing that really gets to me is that he still wouldn't be dx now if it wasn't for my younger son who was dx in November - he hasn't got asd/as just traits but he does have adhd and all through his school life has been hell because he wasn't dx they would say that he was just being naughty - i knew it was more than that but no one wanted to listen :wallbash::wallbash:

while we are on the subject why do they always (well here they do) put it down to the childs homelife??

I'm married and have been for 11 years to my 2 younger sons father - so my boys are in a stable home enviroment with all the love and support they need but i was still told that in my older sons case it was because he dad didn't live with him, then it was because his dad had emigrated to Australia then more excuses etc etc however before his dad left he would see him every week, take him on holidays etc and now he has moved he talks to him online he calls him and pays for his airplane tickets so he can go and see him every other years usually for about 6 weeks - his dad and I parted before he was even born so he didn't know what it was like to have a dad around all the time before i met my husband and his dad and I have a great relationship as do my husband and his dad so what were we doing so wrong that warrented that sort of behavior :angry::angry:

It has taken them 7 years to dx a problem that i could see right away!!

With my other son it took them 4 years to dx his problems again we got it was the home enviroment this time it was because several of his grandparents have died in the last 5 years (4 of them) , we compare him to much to his older brothers so he now feels he has to live up to that dx :angry:

In both cases there has been something wrong but we were blamed and made to feel that it was our faults and thats really unfair to both us and the boys

sorry everyone but i really needed to get that out :tearful:

Emma :(

please don't apologise for letting it all out - I suspect most of us have used this forum for that at some point - in my case more than once!

I count myself very lucky that I live where I do, as I don't feel that any of the professionals I've come across have felt it was related to our homelife, and DSs dx was fairly straightforward. However, since dx, we find that we have to fight for every bit of support, and chase up appointments and paperwork etc. - it is exhausting :wallbash:

I hope you feel a bit better now

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Our dx came quite quickly from our CAMHS. It took 9 months in all. It would have been quicker but I refused to do the 3DI assessment as I could not come to terms with what was being said. They wanted to do the 3DI four months after we started attending.

I guess it does all come down to your CAMHS and the person you see.

I have nothing but praise for our CAMHS and the support and guidance they give.

Dont apologize, ive had a total gutsful of camhs and how long they take to do anything....ive been asking for help with my ds since he was 2 1/2 n only got taken note of 2 years ago and have been back n for to camhs for just under 2 years and have been messed round so much n my son's apparent dx changes at every appointment he has had adhd, asd, as, damp, nothing, all but mild etc etc......and its always thrown back on the parent as being not a good parent or bad homelife or the like(tho they were stumped on that cos the head told them straight im a damn good mother and my son has a fantastic homelife lol).....I know some think camhs are fab but to me they are totally useless.... I know what my son has as do the school and everyone else...shame camhs wont get theirselfs in gear n sort the dx...... >:D<<'>