Teresa

What Job's / Careers paths have you chosen?

Hi all

This is kinda of been on my mind for a while, my friend's daughter has CP uses a wheel chair and drive's lovely girl, my friend is always saying how well her daughter is doing with exams and soon she will be off to uni etc, which is great as i love her to bit's, but she never ask's how my daughter is doing, and sometime's seems negitive towards T etc... like saying what sort of job she would be able to do, is she going to uni, will she be able to sick it out, etc... T was thinking of doing Japanese stuides but has not accepted the offer yet, and time is running out, T's indeciseive and not at all sure what she want's to do really.She's looking into Occupational Therapy at the mo, she get's there just take's longer :) she kinda pushes herself to do thing's that she find's difficuled which can only help her in the end :) unforunately T has now started to distance herself from this friend, that she has been friend's with since primary school, she say's she can't put up with all the BEEP BEEP anymore.

So i guess my question is for adults with AS what Job's / careers path's have you chosen?

Thanks T x

Can your daughter accpet the offer of a university place, but ask to defer for one year? That gives her another year to make up her mind about whether to accept the place. If she opts for a different course, she will already have her A Level results, so that will make applying easier as she will get unconditional offers.

I chose not to go to university, though my grades were good enough. I am considering doing it now, but I'm still not sure.

I work night shifts in a supermarket. It's not a fantastic career and I have no interest in taking up a management position in retail. But I like my job most of the time and it pays well. Many of my colleagues are fairly eccentric themselves, so I don't really stand out as different. You do have to be a bit thick-skinned though, as the banter can get over the top at times - I have found this to be true at 3 different locations with 3 different employers. I think it would happen in any job though, just that sometimes people would whisper quietly to themselves instead of yelling it across the shop floor. I prefer things out in the open so you know where you stand with people.

Was in computer programming until a redundancy in Sept 2002. Had some interviews for more of the same but everyone wanted me to get involved in customer facing analysis and rejected me for not having the confidence for that.

While temping in general admin for a local public sector employer I took up Accounting courses, a few people had suggested this would make similar use of my mental skills. Eventually I got 3 and a bit months of temp placements doing that, though one didn't go well because I had to receive phone calls from suppliers that the employer was overdue paying.

I've applied for many permanent jobs but don't get offered them as the employers can inevitable find someone with better communication skills and turn me down :wallbash: . It is so frustrating to know I'm so capable of the work generally, if I could find a department with enough manpower for someone else to have the contact with customers and suppliers while I can get on with my job of transaction posting.

I'm about to post another thread about an interview last week as it goes.

Thank you for your reply's :), have a friend coming around to talk to T about the OT course, she is in the first year of

the course, thought that might be more helpful for T, instead of phoning Uni first, then see what she want's to do . It's a

real worry i don't want to put any pressure on her just want to help guide her.

Many Thanks Teresa :)

I'm doing a PhD, hoping for an academic career.

Personally, I'd second the suggestion about deferring a year. Most unis will be fine with this, and it means there will be more time to make a definite decision.

I am going to back off a little or maybe a lot, i think i'm putting to much pressure on her and it's started to upset her :(

at the end of the day i have to let her make her own choices, that's how we all learn about life right or wrong.

I have told her whatever she decides to do I will support her :)

Teresa x

I am going to back off a little or maybe a lot, i think i'm putting to much pressure on her and it's started to upset her :(

at the end of the day i have to let her make her own choices, that's how we all learn about life right or wrong.

I have told her whatever she decides to do I will support her :)

Teresa x

I think our children, siblings , friends always have to make their own decisions. My daughter has studied animal care and wants to be a veterinary nurse. She can deal with people if she is made to feel supported by colleagues. She wanted when she was young to do child care but decided herself she was too short fused for that! We got brochures and talked through various options. The college she goes to have taster sessions of up to 3 days and offer weekly boarding. She did this for two years before she went there to make sure she would be ok and we have always said she can change her mind and retrain at any time. She is just finsihing 3 years there having boarded Monday to Friday. It has been brilliant in giving her confidence to be away from us, and develop some social skills, although she is likely to stay in her room and be on her laptop when not in class but now and then she had been encouraged to go out. If you can find a uni/college that provides good taster support that can be helpful

I support pupils in an sen school who have ASD, though I myself do not have a dx of ASD I feel its possible that I may have it.

I did an undergraduate degree in joint honours maths and philosophy, followed by a master's in applied maths. Since then I have worked at a building services consultancy (5 weeks), scientific civil service (7 1/2 years), environmental consultancy (5 months) and, finally, an internship at an electronics dotcom (October 2011 - February 2012).

so, as it's 3 years old, I'm intrigued to find out what your daughter decided to do.

Did she take the time out? Did she go down OT route or did she do the Japanese? I'm dying to know!!!