Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

Getting fed up of hearing what I want to hear rather than

I am slowly getting sick and tired of my heads ability to hear what it wants to and not what is actually said.

2 cases of note.

L has Autistic Spectrum Disorder. Asperger Syndrome was only mentioned by the paediatrician as a possibility after she had seen his educational stuff. This only became apparent to me after I recieved a copy of a letter from CAMHS saying L has ASD.

L has Severely delayed receptive and expressive language. He was diagnosed with this in September last year. After I had paid for a private SLT to assess him. However, I remember reading the letter she sent me afterwards, and I remember reading that he doesn't have a problem with saying his sounds etc, I also remember her recommending a certain school we didn't want L to go to. I also remember thinking that I didn't really want this letter to get into the hands of the school. I put it back in the envelope.

This was September 2008.

I found the envelope a couple of days ago. I actually read the full report - which I thought I had done before. However, it quite clearly says that although L's speech is fine, he has major problems in his receptive and expressive language, and lists around 6 interventions to help him. So for the last 7-8 months we could have been helping him, and we haven't because of my stupid ability to hear what I want to rather than what is being said.

So apologies to all on here. I am pretty certain that over the years, you have probably all given me some really good advice, but as it wasn't what I needed/wanted to hear, it probably got overlooked.

Sorry.

Now I need to try and work out what to do about this SLT report.

Don't be too hard on yourself, Fiorelli :(>:D<<'>

As parents with children with complex needs we are under a huge amount of stress, so sometimes it's easy to process things not quite correctly.

Bid >:D<<'>

I'm not being hard on myself Bid - I'm being honest. And it can only be for the best hey!

What is it they say? "Onwards and Upwards!" :)

I just wanted to apologist to those on here who have given me advice in the past and may have begun to think that they have been speaking to a brick wall!!