Tempus

New to ASD-Forum

I've just signed up at this forum yesterday, as I am eager once again to get involved in an online community about ASDs. I am 18 years old, and I am a self-diagnosed aspie (well, not self-diagnosed persay; my family were the people who noticed it and researched it at first).

I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia when I was 11, and first learned about AS when I went for my first assessment back in 2005 at the age of 14. At the time I was not at all happy with the idea of being labelled as 'disabled' by virtue of having an official diagnosis; as such I can admit now I did lie a little in my assessment to downplay certain attributes (something my Mum was very annoyed about at the time). I was being bullied at the time at school, and as the assessment team I was meeting wanted to observe me at school it was decided to drop the process.

We have done nothing about getting an official diagnosis since until now; I have finally got an appointment to see Professor Terry Brugha (NHS Assessment Clinic, Leicester) after a reasonably short wait -- this is partially due to my own wish to have an official diagnosis (it's very annoying being suspected by people of 'faking' it, so to speak, just because I have not up until now been properly assessed), and also partially because it is required to apply for DSA at University (something that I was reccomended to do by the Disability Officer at the university I will be attending in October).

Anyway, lengthy intro post over. Looking forward to spending time here in future :).

- Tom

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum. :)

Good luck with the appointment, let us know how you get on.

K x

Hi Tom.Welcome to the Forum. :D

I have Ben age 10 who has an ASdx.

I think that reading your post you write exactly how I imagine Ben will be writing in a few years. :)

Ben also had a dyspraxia diagnosis first.The AS diagnosis was finally made a few months ago.Karen.

Edited by Karen A

i had dyspraxia official diagnosis first but parents had to fight with SENCO and peadtrician to get that one! had that at around 6-7 years old always knew ther something else and when i was 14 years old i was assessed and officially diagnosed with AS at age of 14 at CAMHS! i was bullied at school most spectrum people are before discovered or if they are! already! it's good you only have wait short while for assessment as theres's waiting lists of years long of people wanting to know the 'real' them because it hidden people do tend to judge and have an personal stereotypical opnion on these conditions but that just proves more why education and knowledge is the main key answer in helping and supporting 'us' as a whole! good luck with everything wish you the best! you deserve it!

take care

luv ya loadz

KLXXX

Hi :)

Another 18 year old aspie here. I haven't had my official diagnosis yet either - mine's booked for September. I'd been with CAMHS since I was 14, where they did diagnose me with OCD, but they seemed to think that I had a schizotypal personality disorder. It was only when I was moved to the adult service where they did a new assessment and suspected aspergers, combined with my youngest brother being diagnosed with it around the same time, that I am getting the right help now.

Hope the assessment goes well! Look forward to seeing you around.