Sign in to follow this  
Cat

A Better Future - Consultation

Launched April 29th - Cat

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Consultations/Live...tions/DH_098587

A Better Future

A consultation on a future strategy for adults with autistic spectrum conditions

Executive summary

The purpose of this consultation document and the related consultation process is

to seek views on what actions, in which areas, can deliver the greatest change for

the largest number of adults with an ASC.

With input from an external reference group of people whose lives are affected

by ASCs, either professionally or personally, we have identified five key themes for

this consultation. The themes were chosen as representative of the main concerns

that we hear from adults with an ASC and, as such, are the areas that we believe

can deliver the greatest change. These are social inclusion, health, choice and

control, awareness raising and training, and access to training and employment.

However, we recognise that the themes do not cover all the issues, and want to

take this opportunity to find out if the themes and what we say about them are

the right ones to be the top priority for action.

Both the external reference group and the government departments involved in

developing the strategy had ideas about what actions could make change happen.

Some of those ideas are reflected in this document, but we want to hear the

ideas of as many people as possible to help decide and inform the right approach

for the final strategy. To help us understand how services can be delivered in the

best possible way, we are also interested in what you can tell us about what has

worked or not worked with services that you are involved with. We also want to

know about the costs, benefits and risks involved in delivering the services that

you are involved with.

Having had to fight tooth and nail to have sensory issues included in the Health Chapter as a big issue for some adults with autism, I really hope that lots and lots of people have things to add :whistle:

Cat

Having had to fight tooth and nail to have sensory issues included in the Health Chapter as a big issue for some adults with autism, I really hope that lots and lots of people have things to add :whistle:

Cat

Off topic I know Cat but great to see you. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Karen.

Off topic I know Cat but great to see you. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Karen.

Thank you Karen :) Up to my eyes it strategies and consultations as usual :lol:

Cat

Can I ask (if you know) why education is not a key area - given that all university students are classified as 'adult' (whether they behave that way or not is an entirely separate matter :lol::wine:) and education is seen (at least in Government documents/policies/proposals as the root to development and they're always on about lifelong education/learning. Probably just me being over picky - I've always felt uneasy with the education/training distinction made between mainstream and SEN :(

Thank you Karen :) Up to my eyes it strategies and consultations as usual :lol:

Cat

Ah well whatever keeps you out of trouble. >:D<<'> :devil::P

So it's ASC not ASD now?!

I like the change - very positive - but it's probably too late for an old fart like me to remember :lol:

I'll have a proper look later. Up to your eyes in strategies, eh? well, better off than me. As usual I'm up to my neck in

Across:

1: Found at the bottom of a birdcage (4 letters, ends in I.T.)

L&P

BD :D

(that's 'grit' BTW, for anyone who missed the Two Ronnies xmas show 1983... I'm resurfacing the garden path) ;)

So it's ASC not ASD now?!

I like the change - very positive

I don't! :rolleyes: I know that disorder can be quite emotive, but spade a spade and all that. Condition to me is too wishy washy and takes away from that diagnostic criteria I keep on about of the need for significant difficulties across all areas of functioning. I'm concerned that calling it a condition further supports the 'well everyone does' side, fails to see the real difficulties it can cause and potentially makes the 'condition' too open such that those who genuinely need the diagnosis are not seen because they have the same label as people with a bit of the condition. I for one will continue to say that I have an ASD.

Can I ask (if you know) why education is not a key area - given that all university students are classified as 'adult' (whether they behave that way or not is an entirely separate matter :lol::wine:) and education is seen (at least in Government documents/policies/proposals as the root to development and they're always on about lifelong education/learning. Probably just me being over picky - I've always felt uneasy with the education/training distinction made between mainstream and SEN :(

Hi Mumble

I think you have asked a very valid question and it is something I would raise if I were you. The key areas had all been chosen when I was asked to be a member of the external reference group and I specifically asked if I could be part of the Health Chapter because I know from first hand experience how little there is out there for anyone with and ASC (not my choice either but actually I prefer it) once they leave the fold of Children's Services. There is so much that has not made it into the Consultation Draft, suggestions that were made by the groups, but the Department of Health chose to spotlight the concerns that had been raised rather than the suggestions on how to improve. I actually agree with this - it should not be up to a few people to decide what ends up being in the final version of this strategy it should be up to the many - which is why it is so important that we respond to this consultation, and why you should certainly raise the issue of education and why it has not been chosen as one of the key chapters.

Cat

I don't! :rolleyes: I know that disorder can be quite emotive, but spade a spade and all that. Condition to me is too wishy washy and takes away from that diagnostic criteria I keep on about of the need for significant difficulties across all areas of functioning. I'm concerned that calling it a condition further supports the 'well everyone does' side, fails to see the real difficulties it can cause and potentially makes the 'condition' too open such that those who genuinely need the diagnosis are not seen because they have the same label as people with a bit of the condition. I for one will continue to say that I have an ASD.

I can appreciate that. the reason i said I thought it was more positive was because 'disorder' in a way is a direct measurement against the 'perfect' medical model, if that makes sense - and i hate the whole 'perfect medical model' ethos. I do agree, though that the more 'PC' the label becomes the further it blurs the boundaries. For me, having given it about a minutes (the time it took me to type this!) thought, I think maybe ASD is more appropriate but with the 'D' standing for 'disability'. That would probably be less popular with many, but i think 'disability' encompasses other perspectives (i.e., disablement as a social/societal construct and barrier), where 'disorder' suggests something/someone that doesn't work properly as opposed to something/someone that works differently.

That said, if this or any other incentive improves services and opportunities for autistic people i don't care what terminology they use! The meaning of words can change (a negative can become a positive, as in 'gay', or a positive can become a negative as in 'new labour') but a step in the right direction is a step in the right direction, whatever you call it...

As for 'edjukashun' - good point... but what about adult ed, too, because some of the older auties have missed the opportunity... they've got their education...

contrived link to an old song....

:D

I will have a proper read of the documents and do a response Cat - in particular I'll look at the health stuff because this is an area I've had some difficulty accessing despite having excellent primary care access - I'd hate to think how things would be if that were different.

Baddad - I think what you say is right - more about what they do than what they call it - "If it's not ASD on the box, it still might be ASD in the box" :unsure: I've wondered for a long time whether you need a third letter at all - whether AS (Autistic Spectrum) would be enough - but of course AS has already been taken by Asperger's. I can be picky about labelling - the one that really irritates me is people who try to use the right language and get it wrong - Asperger's Spectrum being one that really grates (don't know why that in particular, but it does.)