Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

"I've done no work"

I wonder if someone can explain this odd student (I don't know if it extends beyond students) behaviour to me.

It's exam time at the moment so is very prevalent, but it happens at other times too with respect to essay deadlines etc.

Every student says to every other student "Oh I've done no work/haven't started my revision/haven't written any of my essay" etc. when they clearly have done some. Indeed, if a student does say "I've done X amount of revision" or "I've finished X essay" (especially, shock horror, before the deadline) they're ostracised and either laughed at directly or if not like that, behind their backs.

I spend a lot of time observing the 500 students I live with and because we have communal meals, I see/hear a lot of this behaviour, plus it was something I was subjected to on my last degree because I always finished my essays a week before due date and if asked I told the truth.

So, if they all know that they have done some revision, what purpose does this act of "I've done nothing" serve? :unsure:

When I was at uni if you said you had done your essay days before it was due you were considered showing off and that was seriously not cool. So even if you had done your stuff you just kept it under wrap and when asked you'd say no that you were still working on it. Funny student psychology I know but that was the way. I passed my degree 20 years ago, so times obviously have not changed!

Take care and don't worry too much >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> How are you coping with your homework?

It's a safety net... if all goes pear shaped it's far less embarrasing to have people think 'He/she's an idiot for not revising' than 'he/she's an idiot because even with all that revising they stuill couldn't understand it.'

On the other hand 'I got a first without even trying' implies a much greater level of intelligence than

'I worked my nuts off and just scraped a pass'

(or any variations thereof)

:D

When I was at uni, you also had the people who would tell you how many gazillions of hours they had worked!

Ah, but are you sure they were telling the truth... :unsure:

Slightly :offtopic: (but it's my topic so tough :lol:) but something similar was a key reason for me being put forward for dx. Some other students were going on about writing 10,000 words per day. Well, I thought, I'm a right failure I'm not doing that much, and I pushed myself to do that until I completely cracked under the pressure - because I'd taken what they'd said as gospel (never realised people might not tell the truth - once that was explained to me, well, all sorts of questions arose in my head and I felt very very insecure :tearful:).

I have to agree with the others, its more of a self protection thing I think, so that if things don't go well then you don't look "stupid" but if they do go well then you look cool!

Agree with all the above.

Of course for some students the statement "I've done no work" may be literally true. Especially if they're anything like me: usually finishing essays in a wine fuelled frenzy the night before the deadline. :rolleyes: Procrastination is my middle name.

K x

Agree with all the above.

Of course for some students the statement "I've done no work" may be literally true. Especially if they're anything like me: usually finishing essays in a wine fuelled frenzy the night before the deadline. :rolleyes: Procrastination is my middle name.

K x

Well I don't do any work. Don't even bother writing the paper. Or showing up for the exam. I still get distinctions on everything, though, purely for my reputation as a genius and for the way my mere presence inspires the other students to achieve: you know, raising the bar for them but in a positive way. :whistle:

My middle name is 'Smartarse'... :whistle::devil:

I think it is a form of self protection and also an attempt to impress others - I think that it is partly a cultural UK thing that it is not always considered to be a good or 'cool' thing to work hard at studying - whereas getting great marks without even appearing to be trying creates an impression that the person has superior intelligence (or so they think)

There are of course a few people who try to impress their fellow students by how much work they are doing and claiming to be in the Library 18 hours per day etc.