Sign in to follow this  
julieann

Does anyone know how far my duties as LSA go?

Does anyone know how far my duties as Learning Support Assistant extend?

The mum of my pupil who had the three day work experience in school with me. Who wanted her daughter to have a

proper work experience with the general public the same as the NT pupils at the school.

Sent a letter into the careers teacher yesterday stating that she has found a one day placement at her local library for her daughter and will be picking Mrs xxxxx (me) up on that day to take her to the library. Myself and the school knew nothing about it until we received the letter.

My pupils mum has told the library that her daughter will be fully supported by someone from the school for the whole day.

I only support xxxx in the afternoon on the date her mum has given. I give whole class support to years 7 + 8 in the mornings.

Does anyone know of an LSA that has gone on a pupil's work experience with them in mainstream?

I can't see that she can tell you what to do - you are not empoyed by her. Even if the school agreed, then there must be insurance and health and safety issues. If the child lost it/hurt herself would you be held responsible?

I think she is overstepping the mark, but it should be up to your SENCO or Head to tell her so. They cannot make you work hours that you do not normally, without your agreement.

I can't see that she can tell you what to do - you are not empoyed by her. Even if the school agreed, then there must be insurance and health and safety issues. If the child lost it/hurt herself would you be held responsible?

I think she is overstepping the mark, but it should be up to your SENCO or Head to tell her so. They cannot make you work hours that you do not normally, without your agreement.

Thanks for that Kazzen 161 that's what I thought.

Unfortunately our SENCO had a back operation in December and hasn't been back since.

We don't have anyone dealing with SEN issues.

The head doesn't have anything to do with SEN pupils unless they are in trouble. Her only interest is in the high achievers in the school. She used to teach top set year 7 but doesn't even do that now. She stays in her office all day with the curtains closed and the electric fire on. Yes really.

I agree with Kazzen. It's unfair that you should be put in this position - somebody in the school needs to take some responsibility and discuss this with the parent and work out a solution that suits everybody. Can the careers teacher help? The head sounds like a nightmare. Poor you.

K x

I agree with Kazzen. It's unfair that you should be put in this position - somebody in the school needs to take some responsibility and discuss this with the parent and work out a solution that suits everybody. Can the careers teacher help? The head sounds like a nightmare. Poor you.

K x

Hi Kathryn,

The careers teacher told my pupils mother that the school weren't able to find a mainstream work experience placement for her daughter with her needing constant 1:1 supervision. As the pupils in these placements are expected to be able to follow basic instructions on their own.

When my pupils mother kept insisting that her daughter had a placement the same as the other pupils it was suggested that she could possibly find a 1 day placement for her herself. Having me look after her for the day was never mentioned.

I'm thinking that we might have to go down the road of if mum wants the same as the other pupils they don't have any support in the work place :rolleyes:

"The head sounds like a nightmare. Poor you."

The head is a nightmare not only does she think my pupil shouldn't be at the school she doesn't want me there either. She halved my hours last September and has told me that "she will not be having anymore statemented pupils in the future at her school" :wallbash::wallbash:

Hi julieann Thanks for posting your post.It did strike me that there are often posts on the Forum from parents complaining about suport provided or staff not being as helpful as they might be.Although I am a parent myself and have not always been happy with various things it is good to be reminded that parents can also have rather unrealistic expectations. :) Karen.

I don't know about work experience. But if a disabled person finds a job and needs support, that can be provided to ensure they retain that job. I'm not sure whether the support (which in essence would be 1:1), would be throughout the day on a daily basis or whether it would be continuous. But it maybe that this mother has spoken to another agency and is thinking that school can provide the same.

The school sounds appalling.

If it becomes necessary, contact your Union for advice.

Hi Kazzen,

Your right the school is appalling and extremely ignorant when it comes to SEN. The school is high achieving in the league tables and the attitude from most but not all members of staff is that statemented pupils should not be at the school as their needs take up time that could be used on a high achieving pupil who will get straight A*'s. There are those that would say if it's that bad why don't you find another school. My pupil is in yr 10 and only has another year at the school. I feel she has been let down enough by the education system without me joining in.

I have supported my statemented pupil for the last 4 years. I can honestly say that if anything things SEN at the school have got worse not better. I lost 30 hours work last September when my second statemented pupil had her statement finished because she has grown out of her HFA.

I recently asked the head if there was any chance of any additional hours and she stated "that the school wouldn't be having anymore statemented pupils" :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Thank-you to all who have replied to my post. There was a memo this morning for the careers teacher to ring my pupils mother regarding her daughters work experience.

The parent didn't realise that if she picked me up to go to the library in her home town she would be expected to bring me back to school at the end of the day. She wasn't prepared to do this.

The outcome is that I am no longer in the equation and mum and daughter are spending a morning at their local library.

I don't know how the original two days work experience became one day which has now became a morning.

The parent didn't realise that if she picked me up to go to the library in her home town she would be expected to bring me back to school at the end of the day. She wasn't prepared to do this.

What a cheek! How exactly did she expect you to get back to school? It was a bit of a cheek to expect you to get in a car with her anyway - you don't know if she is a good driver.

Glad it is sorted.

Hello I have just found this topic, It seems very strange to me that the school haven't organised it very well and that the parent went over their heads.

My son was offered to choose work experience (mainstream) but having a statement an LSA was to go as well-in the end nothing was suitable and he didn't do it. He does go to one lesson a week in a special school and an LSA from his school meets us there and supports him during the lesson. X