Tally

Moving House

I have a moving date and it's 12th June.

I have so many things to do now, I don't know how I am going to get it all done!!!

I don't know how I am going to get rid of all the things I can't take. Things like the kitchen table for example, I kind of need it to eat off of up until the day I actually leave. And the broken fridge which I cannot lift into my car by myself. There are a few things I can sell now and manage without for a few weeks, but if I can't sell it I don't know what I will do with it because I can't leave things behind.

I don't know how I am going to get rid of all the things I can't take. Things like the kitchen table for example, I kind of need it to eat off of up until the day I actually leave. And the broken fridge which I cannot lift into my car by myself. There are a few things I can sell now and manage without for a few weeks, but if I can't sell it I don't know what I will do with it because I can't leave things behind.

Contact your buyers and see if they want anything - when I moved from my own house to no longer having a house, I of course didn't need my furniture and the new buyer had a lot of it (at a very reasonable cost - but saved me having to do anything with it) - this can be done informally or entered into the agreement by the solicitors

or...

If it's quite old/cheap (not meant in a bad way!!) and you can't see it selling for much, there are various house clearance people who will take pretty much anything - I did this with a few things - they pay really badly, so don't do it with anything you're attached to (figuratively speaking...), but again it gets rid of stuff

or...

Freecycle - if you have it round your way - and then you could specify "Must be picked up on 11th June"

or...

Can you bear to manage without your table for say a week - you could sell it in the last week - do you perhaps have/could you get something like a lap-tray which would do for a short time, or could you eat at a kitchen surface (not ideal, but OK in short term)

or...

A skip? :unsure: (and a strong man!! - and you could watch him and hence make the expenditure justifiable! :wub:)

Tally, that's brilliant news!

When we moved a while back, we had too much furniture for our new house. I simply didn't have the time to advertise it, so I contacted a local hospice shop and they came and collected it for free and then sold it on in one of their shops.

Good luck with all your plans, and hope it all goes smoothly. Exciting times! >:D<<'>

Boho :dance:

My buyer is buying this as a second home, so I thought she might want it, but she doesn't. My brother is also buying his own flat and I thought he'd want my old stuff, but all he wants is the washing machine and the wok. I don't know how he thinks he is going to afford the rest, but I think he might suddenly change his mind. Unfortunately, he is not moving in until the end of August.

I am taking all the bedroom furniture and a few other bits.

Hopefully, I have a reprieve! My mum is trying to persuade my dad to let me have half of the garage to store it until I can sell it. It seems silly to pay to transport it when its value is so low, but I think it's the only way I can feasibly manage to do it. Since I won't be working for the first month or so, I should have time to put up an ad listing it all. I'll be selling it pretty cheap, so it should disappear pretty quickly. Most of it was second hand to me that my ex picked up from his job as a removal man. I'm struggling to think of anything I've actually paid money for! The telly is so old it doesn't even have teletext!

I've just got a few bits I want to get rid of while I'm here.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: Great news that you have a date.I hope the move goes smoothly.

If you need to get rid of things that are not worth much then you could try an advert on free cycle.I have not used it but have heard some people will use things that are broken for parts.

Edited to add,my council will also collect large items.It might be worth phoning.Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Most of it was second hand to me that my ex picked up from his job as a removal man.

:o He does know that everything he took out of one house he was supposed to put back into the house the people moved into? :unsure::lol:

The other option, and I did this very short term with a few bits I couldn't bear to part with (though had to eventually :tearful:) is a storage unit - most only have a minimum rental of a week (although you get better deals for longer), you can pick the size to suit from basically a big locker to a whole room size, you can usually get 24 access and the site is normally very secure. That would give you time to sell things, and if things didn't sell, if it's one of the big storage companies (like the one that very safe ;) or the one that's very yellow ;) ), they have contacts with house clearance people who would be able to get rid of anything (however small an amount) left over.

The telly is so old it doesn't even have teletext!

Ha! I win - mine's so old, I actually have to get exercise and get up to change channels by pressing buttons on the set itself. :o:blink:

I didn't think about using a storage unit. I might have to do that if I can't have the garage. Security isn't a great concern. If someone robbed it they would probably be doing me a favour!

You definitely win with the telly!

I'm pleased to be finally going though.

The one thing I really must do is arrange a removal firm. Other than that, I intend to finish work on the Monday morning and move on the Thursday so I will have time to pack then. This afternoon I have successfully renewed my car insurance, so that's at least one job down :)

Does anyone know if a 2nd hand computer is worth any money? It's 4 years old and was a discontinued model at the time, and I don't have the discs which came with it. I would be selling it without the hard disc unless I can work out how to wipe it.

And does anyone know who I need to contact to get post redirected?

And does anyone know who I need to contact to get post redirected?

Any post office will have a form to complete plus payment, and you can choose how long you have post redirected, from 3 months to a year I think.

Boho :dance:

Thanks Bid :) I shouldn't need it for long because I think I've listed everyone I need to tell, a few months should be enough to see if there is anyone I've missed.

Well done - did you ever think you'd get this far so soon?! :thumbs:

Good luck with the preparations and the move.

K x

Today I managed to put up some ads for a few bits I would like to get rid of before I move, mostly because they are bulky/fragile and have low value. I have arranged for the council to collect the old fridge. I also managed to call 2 removal firms to arrange for estimates. So I have had a fairly successful day in my opinion.

I thought my mum was on my side, but now she is telling me I need to arrange for everything I don't want to be sold from here, and to be collected the day before I move. I just can't see myself co-ordinating all this. Even if I could, I need to rest the day before I move, otherwise I will not be in a fit state to drive on moving day. She wants me to get the council to collect the skanky old armchairs, even though they will not come into your house to collect rubbish. She said I should just ask a friend to help me take them outside for collection. I don't actually have any friends and she knows this. The constant put-downs were exactly why I moved out. I haven't even moved back and they're starting already.

And then she passed the phone to my dad who told me he was really proud of me for sorting all this out on my own, and that it's fine for me to have half of the garage for my junk for as long as it takes for me to sell it, and if it comes to it we can hire a skip to get rid of it.

I don't know, I'm so confused. It seemed like my mum was on my side and my dad was worried about where we would park all the cars, but now it seems like he's really supportive and my mum just wants me to do more.

Tally, it sounds as if your mum might be feeling a bit worried about all the things you have to do, and is just wishing you were able to handle it all easily. It's coming out as if she's being hard on you, but your dad sounds like he understands and will support you.

Is it possible that they'd been talking about it bofore the phone call, and your dad was saying no, then when he heard her talking to you he changed his mind 'cos he didn't want you to be upset? I'm sure they'll sort it out between them before you get home!

My Mum's always been the same about us storing things in her garage...I'm 40, with my own house and 3 kids, and I've still got stuff stored there! (so has my DH, my BIL, Mum's handyman, Darren, another sister...). It's just the price she has to pay for being a mum and having a huge garage!!! :whistle::whistle::whistle:

About the stuff you can't sell and don't want...is it possible to put a sticker on the items you want to be tipped, and ask the removals men to put those things on the van last, then take them to the tip on the way to your new address.

My mum's brother had a load of stuff stored in the garage for ages! He only took it back recently. But this was records and skis, I have large items of furniture! I am hoping to have one half of the garage so they will still be able to get one car in there. I think my dad was just worried because they all have strict parking places on the drive for their cars. Having me there means he will have to work out a space for one more car, this plan would mean two extra cars on the drive. I will sell my stuff pretty quickly once I am there, so it would only be for a few weeks.

Asking the removal men to dispose of things is a good idea. I have 2 enormous armchairs which are very tatty and have no value. They might be able to dispose of them for me, or at least load them into my car on removal day so I can take them to the tip - there are staff there who would help me unload them. It's quite close to my house, so it should be OK.

Yesterday I put up an ad offering my drum kit free to a good home. I haven't heard anything yet, but maybe a teenager will see it over the weekend and want it. It's just occurred to me that I could offer it to the local school if I don't get any takers.

:thumbs: Good idea to get your removal men to put the chairs in your car on removal day-the tip might charge a 'trade' van, but won't charge you in your car. If both chairs won't go in at once, you could be making trips to the tip whilst they get on with the rest- they'll probably be glad to have you out of the way! :rolleyes:

We have a really bad parking problem where we live...too many cars, not enough road! Sometimes, we end up parking quite a long way away from our house (and carrying 3 sleepy boys and a week's worth of shopping, like as not! :o ), but it's not too bad...Is it possible for you to park away from your parent's house when you move in, then it won't be a problem. If you could think of a possible place, and tell your parents you intend to park there regularly, they might not be so worried about storing the stuff!

I wish you lived nearer to us...my DS has wanted a drum kit since he was 3! (mind you, we'd have to put it in my Mum's garage!... :lol: ).

I have parking problems like that where I live now. It's a real pain isn't it! My parents have a driveway though. My dad has very strict parking spaces for everyone. He's threatening to go out and paint lines for us. Since he's the one who is OK about me using the garage, I'm not going to worry too much about him having to alter his plans. If I just turn up with everything, I don't think my mum will turn me away.

If I just turn up with everything, I don't think my mum will turn me away.

:lol: That's the spirit!

You could be any one of my poor Mum's daughters!!! :whistle::thumbs: