Sign in to follow this  
vicbee

PICK UP THE GUARDIAN NEWSPAPER TODAY

Well I've read it cover to cover and I have to say I'm actually quite impressed. :thumbs: Nothing ground-breaking that we don't know already, but it might help someone with less knowledge. There was only one sentence which grated with me where there was an assumption of violent outbursts. :shame: :shame:

However, I was disappointed that, with the exception of one line at the very bottom of the very back page by the chief executive of the NAS who mentioned ASDs as being lifelong, there was no mention of adults and someone without much understanding, if they were to read through this whole supplement, would be forgiven for believing that children grow out of autism at 16 and it no longer affects them (and also that no one with autism is in education post-16 :shame:).

There is a 4 page insert in today's Guardian Newspaper by the AET - Autism Education Trust

Hi there will go out at get that newspaper as we are new to this as we are waiting for a son to be seen at the child development centre he is 2 years old and showing signs of being an autistic child.

A and A

Yes I was quite impressed overall. It covered 'almost' everything :thumbs:

Cat

I went out and bought it and was a bit disappointed to be honest.

Especially on page 2 where it says that a diagnosis by a professional triggers a Statement of Educational Needs. That made it sound so automatic and such an easy passage through the maze of the SEN system.

I actually emailed the AET (as I believe they paid for the article - it wasn't something the Guardian researched themselves), and said that I thought it gave a very misleading picture of the process. I don't know any LEA that automatically produces a Statement just because a child has a diagnosis of an autistic spectrum disorder or Aspergers. Infact you usually have to provide evidence of complex needs. That usually means a child is in an educational setting and not being supported to the level they need for the duration of the 26 weeks of the Statementing process, not to mention the time it took for initial observations and assessments towards a diagnosis. So in actuality a child can be in an educational setting without the necessary level of support or therapy input for years! And the fact that you need the Statement to access SEN places, only to find that there aren't any SEN places left etc etc.

I suppose the article did give an overview. But it read more like a holiday brochure presentation to me rather than my experience or those other parents I know.

There was also some talk of inclusion in mainstream by using units attached to mainstream schools. That doesn't sound like inclusion to me. That sounds like an autism unit in the grounds of a mainstream school. And when that happens the children usually spend most of their time in the unit because they cannot access the mainstream environment.

There seems to be this set way of delivering lessons at secondary school which involves lots of children changing classes and teachers all day long. And although there is alot of talk about flexibility, it still usually boils down to an autism unit in a mainstream school with those more able remaining in whole class learning environments for as long as they can and then being taken to the unit.

Is the AET a government funded body? I just wondered what their credentials are.

Yes, I did a quick reccy over their website. They do have alot of knowledgeable organisations on board. But their funding says:-

"The AET has been funded in 2008/9 by the Department of Children, Schools and Families,

and will continue to be funded by them in 2009/10."

That surely is a government department, and if so that would make it difficult for them to criticise the organisation that funds them incase that funding is withdrawn.

Yes, I did a quick reccy over their website. They do have alot of knowledgeable organisations on board. But their funding says:-

"The AET has been funded in 2008/9 by the Department of Children, Schools and Families,

That surely is a government department, and if so that would make it difficult for them to criticise the organisation that funds them incase that funding is withdrawn.

The thing about the AET is that there are parents and children participating actively as part of their structure. There are parents who are Advisory Councillors and at the moment they are looking for a parent to be on their Steering Group. I went to one of their events in Carlisle (actually I ran a workshop there) and what I heard on the day from Glynis Jones and others participating was what I needed to hear. The research work being carried out is extensive and good. I am not suggesting that the AET will change the face of Education over-night it's not going to happen but they do appear to be listening and then acting which is a good place to begin.

Cat

I think there are few organisations that are not funded by government departments in one way another.

When I attended the NAS help course in my area it was funded by the LA who payed the NAS to provide the course. :) Karen.

The thing about the AET is that there are parents and children participating actively as part of their structure. There are parents who are Advisory Councillors and at the moment they are looking for a parent to be on their Steering Group. I went to one of their events in Carlisle (actually I ran a workshop there) and what I heard on the day from Glynis Jones and others participating was what I needed to hear. The research work being carried out is extensive and good. I am not suggesting that the AET will change the face of Education over-night it's not going to happen but they do appear to be listening and then acting which is a good place to begin.

Cat

Yes, the other people and organisations having input into this do sound very good. It is just the funding that could cause them to avoid subjects that might 'bite the hand that feeds it'. But it is an organisation I shall keep my eyes open for as they definately have the knowledge base.

I think there are few organisations that are not funded by government departments in one way another.

When I attended the NAS help course in my area it was funded by the LA who payed the NAS to provide the course. :) Karen.

'My' charity has been funded by DCSF for parent participation work. We just gave them a list of what we were going to do and how much it would cost. Then after we'd done it we told them how many people had benefitted. There was no 'agenda' from the DCSF.

It's often easier to get money from central government than it is from the LA, who only do the statutory minimum.

In the last few months there has been concern circulating about 'fake' charities - the NSPCC being slated as one possible example. These 'fake' charities are usually heavily financed by the government and are suspected to be operating in the interests of the government more than anything else. One reason for the government using charities to do its work for them is to avoid public scrutiny using information obtained via the FOI Act. Charities are exempt from the FOI Act whereas government departments are covered by it.

I am concerned that the AET may be operating in the interests of its financiers more than in the interests of the people it is supposed to serve.