Sign in to follow this  
connieruff

Sudden turn around

Hi,

I had asked the LEA for an assessment as my son was a year behind his peers, I was told by his teacher that he needs constant one to one and he would get no help in Class 3 in September.

The school said they cannot afford to support a statement as they did not get any additional funding.

The school have now received the forms and they have sent them back, on the same day I received a letter form SENCO to say that my son is showing considerable signs of improvement, and he is now more settled in class etc etc.

Now the bullying has stopped (fingers crossed) and I am helping much more at home with his schoolwork, he does seem more settled, and seems to be getting on better - but I'm not sure if this is going to continue. Should I be suspicious?

When do the results of the SATS come out and do the school get to see my written application for the request for assessment?

Hi,

I had asked the LEA for an assessment as my son was a year behind his peers, I was told by his teacher that he needs constant one to one and he would get no help in Class 3 in September.

The school said they cannot afford to support a statement as they did not get any additional funding.

The school have now received the forms and they have sent them back, on the same day I received a letter form SENCO to say that my son is showing considerable signs of improvement, and he is now more settled in class etc etc.

Now the bullying has stopped (fingers crossed) and I am helping much more at home with his schoolwork, he does seem more settled, and seems to be getting on better - but I'm not sure if this is going to continue. Should I be suspicious?

When do the results of the SATS come out and do the school get to see my written application for the request for assessment?

Hi Connieruff.

Which SATS ? I cannot remember how old your child is ?

[Edit I realised. KS1 SATS.I think they may be marked internally or may be mainly teacher assessed but am not sure.Others here will put me right. :rolleyes:;) ]

I would be cynical but then I am now. :lol::lol:

If you have requested a Statutary Assessment then it may well be a matter of waiting to see what written evidence the school submit to the LA.The school have to produce evidence regarding what SEN they consider your child to have and what levels your child is at in numeracy and literacy.

If the SATS are optional or teacher assessed then they may well be able to mark your childs paper.[KS2 SATS are marked externally and if last year is anything to go by the results will be out around this time next year. :lol: ]

If the LA decide not to conduct a Statutary Assessment then they will notify you and notify you regarding your right to appeal.You can then decide whether to appeal.

The LA usually provide reasons for refusal to Assess.So if the school do not have evidence or are being over optimistic with expectations then you will find out.Karen.

Edited by Karen A

As the parent I would probably want to know in what way school felt that my child would need supporting in year 3.

For example school might feel he needed a TA for various reasons eg. not being able to follow class instructions, or that he needed a TA to keep his focus on his work, or that the TA would need to explain things to him individually as he didn't understand group instructions, or that the TA needed to keep reminding him of the next step if he has problems with sequencing the tasks needed to complete his work etc. So exactly what difficulties did he have previously that they felt needed support, and what improvements have there been that has meant they no longer feel that way?

(It could be, as happened with my son, that a new teacher and new classroom can also be a big positive or negative depending on how your child takes change in general and change in teacher/classroom environments specifically.)

It could be that the school has contacted the LEA and has been told that if your son needs a TA that they will have to provide that through their own funding, and so the school now thinks he doesn't need it. I don't know to what level school has to fund each pupil out of their own budget and at what point the LEA has to fund additional support. So the LEA may have told the school that they don't feel this child sounds like they need a Statement and therefore school are responsible for meeting his needs - hence the reducation in schools assessment of his needs. Sounds very cynical, but it could be true.

There is a similar post by cmuir further down the 'education' postings about a similar backtracking by the school.

But you are entitled to apply for a Statutory Assessment requesting the LEA to produce reports on your son.

And please remember that a Statement is NOT just about supports needed regarding academic ability, as I am sure Karen A will confirm.