smiley1590

employment -anxiety grrr ....

i'm 19 year old female due to leave college at end of june early july sent CV /covering letters to local nurseries and schools! had six replies saying keep my personal details on their file if any vacanies become available! i had 3 years at college struggling to get my head around leaving and starting again i know linked to transitions and changes which causes major depressive and anxious thoughts and feelings it's daunting and don't know how to approach building steps to prepare for this event in my life appropriately!? where do i start what i do? chatted to AS hospital lady she going through transition /future plan booklet! which i hoping should help abit reduce everything down or am i hoping too much anyone know what i could do!? trying to fill up all options so keep busy and active if no job positions come up in sepetember then look for volunteer work but really want some kind paid work! this too much to ask! feels like if get too close gets take away everythings broken promises and stolen dreams! but still want be a success like my friends and family even though i have AS/MH probs i have nothing against people on benefits but trying to avoid going down this road as much as possible if have to then so be it! like JSA,! but worked all my life put in hard work and effort to work! so i'm so desperate to prove what i can be to society!

XKLX

If nothing comes up in the job market (don't be alarmed, most daycare type places are having their budgets cut and are getting by on less than the ideal number of staff at the moment) then I would recommend volutary work in the types of places where you would like to work.

You obviously want to work with children ... and there is going to be a worry among employers about someone with MH problems working with young children. That's discrimination of course, but a sort of uneasiness about this very vulnerable group needs to be accepted, because it is real and out there - even though anyone who is genuine about working with children should be open-minded and prepared to give anyone a chance ..... By showing who you are, what you can do, and how you manage your conditions and still fill the needs of a job, you can then prove that you are a reasonable person to employ! Either in a place where you have volunteered, or because of the references you can supply from places where you have volunteered.

This is why voluntary work is so important. Nurseries and pre-schools may be able to take you in for certain hours, it may also be worth looking in the school situation (hearing kids read, etc.) as you might enjoy being a classroom assistant and you could contribute SO MUCH by helping the staff understand an AS/dyspraxic, point of view and what may help or make life more difficult for the AS children in their care - especially young children who can't necessarily communicate or explain their discomfort.

In many many cases people who have volunteered find themselves a paid job in the same area .... I'd recommend trying to get into several different places to improve those chances. You will also learn an awful lot in the practical situation that you just can't get at college, and a lot of the college information will make more sense when you are observing childcare work in real life.

For instance you may be in a school and helping in a certain class, perhaps a certain kid that has difficulties ... then the kid is diagnosed, statemented, whatever and the school is in a position to get an assistant for a few hours a week - they will probably have to advertise the post publically as per the rules but you would be there, known, and the ideal candidate for the job unless someone more experienced/qualified applied.

Good Luck!

Helen

i would like to help and support young children like myself with spectrum/behavioural disorder! as feel i have personal experiences behind me which sometime out way qualifications i don't know because my own difficulties whether i be able to support and guide enough though that my fear i scared let people down! where i volunteer at the moment at nursery i work with 2 boys there that have probably ASD/ADHD/CD/ODD type behaviours and manage them so well staff members praise me up as say couldn't do it without me i feel they have respect for me as person! and i understand them and many problems they have!

i get paranoid the workers there are laughing about and at me all time there thinking i'm 'weird','stupid' a freak etc probably me just over thinking things though-paranoia,low-sef esteem social anx all together mixes up in my own head does my head in i tire myself out constantly! can't press pause button! one owrker uses sarcasm in jokes and coversations this really messes with my head! she doesn't even know it upsets and confuses me but wouldn't dare to say anything incase upset her or made her angry at me! as she lovely person she knows i have SEN just not whole lot about AS and that's where education fails also in work place!

i can relate to how i felt and still do alot of time! i want to work as SENCO,L.S.A/T.A ? or in ASD unit etc i am determined not to let another young child personally experience the hurt and pain i did by being negatively labelled critised i want to positively change awareness and information in productive manner! i ambitious and hard working! my voice will be heard i sure of that! the SEN kids need a voice something i never had chance to have!

but something i want to give back to them make sure it iprevent as much as possible in society everyone deserves fair education system no matter of the diverse needs! all needs to be individual yet fair and not isolated and left out in the cold for be brushed away because too scared or anxious what it like for us?! going through it day in day out blamin ourselves for being 'this way'! bout time society realise we can't help being 'different' it's who we are! -accept move on make a difference!

but i feel even though gain insight our lives sometimes still never close enough but have to be try your best maybe more is needed to reach child's potential to the fulliest!

even though enjoy gaining experience through volunteer like helping and supporting giving sdomtimes worthwhile back to community feel laughed at even though told i brave admirable! feel like no-one out ther willing to listen and take stand with helping me into employment apart from parents! i know volunteer part of employment ladder something put on CV! i want more out of life than just that!

i know people are proud of work i do and achieve! but scared it all be for nothing i the end i feel let down and disappointment to everyone that helped me along the way! trying my best to look for work feel it not good enough! looking in newspapers,asking around,turning up,volunteering! ,posting CV/covering letters etc i'm worn out and the fight and really began but when think about it my mind freezes trying to keep all different options open for myself to choose so i'm not left with nothing! i feel cold and empty at time like a child lost confused etc!

thinking about whether to do NVQ route but have to have employment position to do that! none with my qualificationa around as look on area council website regularly! giving application forms to connexions going to send off to NQV training providers they get back to you!

thinking about going back to college to do completely different subject change for abit! don't kno what yet got to look into that!

keeping looking for jobs and volunteering!

what should i do for the best?

i'm bricking it i got to be 'ready' sometime soon! just 'how' and 'when' even though MH OT at local hosp helping me cope with transitions periods as don't deal with it well get stressed,axnious,depressed,frustrated,upset etc

thi all i think about at night if i jobless and just volunteering couple days a week at least im busy still! my parents said they still support me in every which way just feel like im burden they don't say this i think this because my MH probs and AS! i annoy myself all time! grrr..... i cry myself to sleep stressing and getting myself worked up so much over what going to happen i know no one can see into future so which i could right now! make easier for me! change makes me uncomfortable especially unpredictable ones! AS again with anx that is!

don't want to rely on state paying my benefits ( i don't want offend or upset anyone on here! got nothing against benefits as whole!) just want to earn 'my money' not the government's cash i'm my own person in my own right with my own life and views on things in the world like everyone else! if i can do this anyone can!

XKLX

Hi Smiley,

You mentioned that one of the staff you work with uses a lot of sarcasm which you don't understand. You also said she is a lovely person. I think that if you told her you don't understand sarcasm, it might help her to understand you better. It is difficult for people to change the way they talk to people, but if she realised why you don't understand her sometimes or laugh at her jokes, it could help you to get on better.

Have you talked to your boss in your voluntary job? They might be able to help you find a paid position or tell you if there is anything coming up. You have already proven yourself to be a good worker as a volunteer, so they might want to hire someone like you if a position comes up - or give you a good reference if a job comes up somewhere else.

There's no need to feel like you are a burden to your parents because you still depend on them. Imagine if you had a child like yourself. I bet you would want to offer them all the support you can.

my volunteer boss did offer my summer work but then said she couldnt as she was overstaffed! she was the one that approached me bout the job position and let me down i sick of living life just like this it so hard and difficult to overcome the differences i feel! she would be a referenee for me! i still feel like i don't feel whole as a colleague i feel out of place every though they try i still feel on edge and uncomfortable! what's wrong with me? anxiety paranoia? i don't know if i'm going to be able to work to my best with anxiety paranoia and depression getting in way! XKLX anyone can relate to my personal situation?