Sign in to follow this  
Sally44

Child frquently sent home due to sickness

My son has recently been sent home a total of 9 times in the past two months because of sickness, nausea, vomiting. Each occasion has meant he has to stay away for 48 hours. In all but one case there was nothing wrong with him (although he had been sick).

My son has a history of headaches, stomach aches, sickness and vomiting, nausea, dizziness due to reactions to change, unpredictable outcomes, sensory issues.

He used to vomit as a reflex as a child when I said 'no', or said we were leaving the house, or turned the TV off or refused him something. The doctor said that this reaction is like the 'fight or flight' response and is automatic and is not learnt behaviour. Fortunately they did reduce significantly by age 4+.

However the level of sickness, stomache aches, nausea, dizziness and vomiting have always been a good indication of how he is coping.

The doctor has said she is going to contact the paediatrician who diagnosed him with ASD and Sensory Difficulties. And she has said that my son should not automatically be sent home from school.

I have sent a letter into school saying that a doctors letter will be forthcoming, and that they need to look at anxiety/stress levels and sensory issues to see if that reduces these instances.

The doctor has suggested medication, but that is a last resort as far as I am concerned because these symptoms are not present at all at weekends and do seem to be linked with school in some way.

Has anyone had anything similar in school? I am not sure how school are going to differentiate between sickness or sensory/anxiety issues causing physical symptoms.

Hi sally I can really relate to your post as my son is very much the same.He did/does and displayed all the things you have mentioned in your post(we don,t have this problem as much now as he is at high school in a resource unit and it suits him better!) One thing I would look at is dinnertime , as this was the time my son would be worse, you may find your boy needs to eat in a quieter less chaotic ans smelly environment (like the dinner hall), this was a big problem for my sons senses!!............

.........my son is very sensory orientated, we find mints help with smells, chewy sticks, quiet zones at break and dinner, glasses or tinted lenses, even sunglasses can help to a degree!.........also read olga bogdashina,s book on sensory perceptions in autism, it helped me loads.

..........also would help you with the school if the pead/doc could do you a supporting letter re the sensory condition.

best of luck, suzex >:D<<'>

It might be worth looking at Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome http://www.cvsa.org.uk/

My son suffered severe bouts of sickness from the age of 8. His reaction to the episodes would be very severe and he would become catatonic, sometimes for as long as three weeks. I took him out of school for a year, during that time he didn't have a days illness. He's now 30 and hasn't had an episode for some years, he has an excellent care package that leaves him relatively stress free.

It was a relief to find out about CVS.

Nellie xx

Hi sally I can really relate to your post as my son is very much the same.He did/does and displayed all the things you have mentioned in your post(we don,t have this problem as much now as he is at high school in a resource unit and it suits him better!) One thing I would look at is dinnertime , as this was the time my son would be worse, you may find your boy needs to eat in a quieter less chaotic ans smelly environment (like the dinner hall), this was a big problem for my sons senses!!............

.........my son is very sensory orientated, we find mints help with smells, chewy sticks, quiet zones at break and dinner, glasses or tinted lenses, even sunglasses can help to a degree!.........also read olga bogdashina,s book on sensory perceptions in autism, it helped me loads.

..........also would help you with the school if the pead/doc could do you a supporting letter re the sensory condition.

best of luck, suzex >:D<<'>

Thanks for that.

He does wear Irlen lenses. But I can't find his glasses at the moment. They must be somewhere!!!

I also have Olga's book and went to a seminar by her prior to his diagnosis. Infact, it was only listening to her that I could see how his behaviours were autistic as they are mostly sensory based. But many in my family, including me, have sensory differences. I also have central auditory processing disorder (as does my son). So it was quite hard to see where these different were part of, or separate to autism.

But I am hoping that school will start to notice what type of environments it is happening in. I don't think they have anyone quite like my son who is already there.

Is your son travel sick? Again, I think it is sensory based because it varies so greatly. On some days he doesn't make it to the end of the street before he is sick. At another time he could travel for hours with no problems. Smells inside the car are also a big thing for him (as they are for me!). I was thinking about giving him a hanky with a certain smell on it to mask any other smells that were bothering him. At the moment he travels to school with a small plastic tub for emergencies!

It might be worth looking at Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome http://www.cvsa.org.uk/

My son suffered severe bouts of sickness from the age of 8. His reaction to the episodes would be very severe and he would become catatonic, sometimes for as long as three weeks. I took him out of school for a year, during that time he didn't have a days illness. He's now 30 and hasn't had an episode for some years, he has an excellent care package that leaves him relatively stress free.

It was a relief to find out about CVS.

Nellie xx

Thanks for that info. I don't think it is CVS because he is usually on sick the one time and school calls me to take him home and from then on he is okay. He does get symptoms without vomiting. But again I think it is anxiety/stress/sensory related. Or is a pre-cursor to a migraine or is an abdominal migraine. As a baby he was often sick more than once in a day. But it case a case of triggering it by denying him something or turning the TV off; he would get upset and I would see his face change and he would vomit. So I used to have to sing and dance and clap my hands to try to distract him from that and sometimes it worked. But once he had been sick it didn't continue. So that doesn't sound like CVS does it?

But I'm just wondering how a school is going to be able to make a decison as to whether he is ill or not. I presume they will have to phone me every time and talk me through what has happened and I will have to make a judgement and if he is sick again then I would definately go and get him.

Hi Sally,

I couldn't say if your son has CVS but I would bear it in mind. The onsought of my sons episode were infrequent and mild, but at it's peak, the longest he was well (in his 12th year) was three weeks. His was stress related but could also be brought on by excitement, any extreme emotion can by a trigger. The condition was complicated by his fear of injury/illness, I believe this fear prolonged the episodes.

He was first diagnosed with stomach migraine, children with CVS have a strong predisposition to develop migraine headache. This link has details. http://www.cafamily.org.uk/Direct/c90.html

I hope things improve for your son and you find some answers, good luck.

Nellie xx

Hi Sally,

I couldn't say if your son has CVS but I would bear it in mind. The onsought of my sons episode were infrequent and mild, but at it's peak, the longest he was well (in his 12th year) was three weeks. His was stress related but could also be brought on by excitement, any extreme emotion can by a trigger. The condition was complicated by his fear of injury/illness, I believe this fear prolonged the episodes.

He was first diagnosed with stomach migraine, children with CVS have a strong predisposition to develop migraine headache. This link has details. http://www.cafamily.org.uk/Direct/c90.html

I hope things improve for your son and you find some answers, good luck.

Nellie xx

My 12 year old son's dentist is now fighting to keep his teeth as a result of CVS. His Autism Consultant says that his teeth resembles those of someone who has had anorexia for years. So far our son has lost 6 of his second teeth and the Dentist is fighting to save his four front teeth. Not a nice place to be with any child let alone an autstic child. So there are other issue to consider when a child is vomitting a great deal.

Cat

Edited by Cat

I will bear CVS in mind, as he is in a category that might mean he has a increased risk of developing it.

But could a child have CVS if they wake up and are nauseous in the morning which results in vomiting once? Or do they have to have repeated vomiting on every occasion?

If the cycle of being sick once in the morning would meet the criteria for CVS then he may have that. But if they ask me 'how many times is he sick', then it is only once. So would that exclude CVS?

Thanks for that info. I don't think it is CVS because he is usually on sick the one time and school calls me to take him home and from then on he is okay. He does get symptoms without vomiting. But again I think it is anxiety/stress/sensory related. Or is a pre-cursor to a migraine or is an abdominal migraine. As a baby he was often sick more than once in a day. But it case a case of triggering it by denying him something or turning the TV off; he would get upset and I would see his face change and he would vomit. So I used to have to sing and dance and clap my hands to try to distract him from that and sometimes it worked. But once he had been sick it didn't continue. So that doesn't sound like CVS does it?

But I'm just wondering how a school is going to be able to make a decison as to whether he is ill or not. I presume they will have to phone me every time and talk me through what has happened and I will have to make a judgement and if he is sick again then I would definately go and get him.

Hi.A friend used to have migraine.She was usually sick when she had a migraine.So it could be migraine related.

Do the school have a hard and fast rule that all sickness must be followed by 48 hours off school.I have not come across that rule before.It does not sound very logicall to me. :o

Children are frequently sick because they have a cough.They may also be able to be sick during a tantrum because they are so worked up.Children are also sick because they have tried a new food that they do not like.They may even be sick because they have seen something that is horrid.

I understand that where there is reason to suggest that a child might have an infection then they should be off school untill they are no longer likely to infect others.However to me a blanket policy of a child having to stay off for forty-eight hours if they vomit once is equivalent to a child with eczema never going to school if they have a rash. :)

Some teenage girls vomit every month due to period pains.Would they have to stay off for two days every month.

If I had been sent home every time I was sick when I was pregnant I would have been off for the whole nine months. :lol: Karen.

Presently the school does have the blanket policy of sending children home for 48 hours if they are sick.

That is why I went to the GP for them to write a letter about migraine and also abdominal migraine.

I also feel the school is trying to get my son as independent as possible. I totally agree with that. However I know that the amount of vomiting is a good indication of my sons anxiety, and that has increased signfiicantly over the last couple of months. So I think I am being fair in requesting that they keep supports in place and see if the amount of vomiting reduces. Actually I don't see why they are aiming for independence in some things. For example they have removed his personal visual timetable and he has to go with the class timetable (which is also visual). But it does not include any timetable changes that are personal to him eg. time out for Speech Therapy, choose time, social skills group etc. As my son has no understanding of time, this is going to confuse him and cause anxiety. Why is it important to remove his personal timetable? If it helps and reduces anxiety so that he performs better in other areas, then surely that is an argument to keep it in place?

The same goes for headphones. They have removed them (although they are still visible to him), and the target on his MEP is to see if he will 'request them'. But he cannot predict outcomes, so he cannot 'predict' if he will need them. If you ask him if he thinks he will need them he will use them. They feel that he is just using them. However they do see that in school assembly he covers his ears and that afterwards he cannot concentrate sometimes for the remainder of the day. So why don't they just let him wear the headphones?

I would prefer the emphasis to be on reducing and controlling anxiety levels rather than reducing supports to achieve independence.

I also had to take medication because I couldn't travel to the hospital on the bus without being sick (and it was a two bus journey away).

Has anyone had anything similar in school? I am not sure how school are going to differentiate between sickness or sensory/anxiety issues causing physical symptoms.

Hi again.I thought I would add with my nursing background hat on. :)

There is no hard and fast rule that school could use to differentiate between illness and sickness due to sensory or other issues.

Ultimately the only way to make a medical diagnosis of D and V due to infection is to obtain stool samples. :o:D

I think that if a child has vomited then it is probably reasonable to send them home.At the end of the day staff in school are not qualified to diagnose anything.

I am a qualified nurse with years of experienced and would not be able to say absolutely whether a child was sick on the basis of vomiting once.The usual indicator for me would be a pattern of vomiting, probably followed by diahorrea and a child who apppeared unwell.After all a child who has sensory issues could also have a tummy bug.

However for me the issue is the blanket policy on all children being kept off for forty-eight hours.

I know children that would be able to vomit on demand if they knew they could have forty-eight hours off each time.Karen.

Sally,

I'm not an expert on CVS but I would imagine that it could be once but it would have to follow a pattern/cycle. Looking back my sons sickness was never severe to start with.

I discovered CVS only a few years ago when Cat posted information on the forum, it was such a relief to know there was an explanation for these episodes and that we were not the only family going through this. I knew instantly that this was the problem, he had all the symptoms and matched all the criteria apart from diarrhoea.

The onset of vomiting is most commonly during the night or early morning and this was certainly the case for my son. The onset rarely happening during the day and only happened at school once. We had great difficulty getting them to understand my sons difficulties or that school was causing him great stress. He always pretended he was coping at school, he wasn't diagnosed with autism until he was 19. If the situation had happened today I'm sure I would have been suspected of MSBP (Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy).

These episodes could always be related to a situtation that caused him stress, anxiety or excitement. For example on a morning when we were due to go on holiday we would wake up to find he was ill and having been ill during the night without our knowledge.

It might be worth keeping a record of your sons sickness and bearing CVS in mind. The school and your GP should be looking to see if these episodes are caused by stress and anxiety, if this is the case they should be doing everything possible to reduce his anxiety and increase his confidence.

I hope this helps.

Nellie >:D<<'>

Presently the school does have the blanket policy of sending children home for 48 hours if they are sick.

That is why I went to the GP for them to write a letter about migraine and also abdominal migraine.

I also feel the school is trying to get my son as independent as possible. I totally agree with that. However I know that the amount of vomiting is a good indication of my sons anxiety, and that has increased signfiicantly over the last couple of months. So I think I am being fair in requesting that they keep supports in place and see if the amount of vomiting reduces. Actually I don't see why they are aiming for independence in some things. For example they have removed his personal visual timetable and he has to go with the class timetable (which is also visual). But it does not include any timetable changes that are personal to him eg. time out for Speech Therapy, choose time, social skills group etc. As my son has no understanding of time, this is going to confuse him and cause anxiety. Why is it important to remove his personal timetable? If it helps and reduces anxiety so that he performs better in other areas, then surely that is an argument to keep it in place?

The same goes for headphones. They have removed them (although they are still visible to him), and the target on his MEP is to see if he will 'request them'. But he cannot predict outcomes, so he cannot 'predict' if he will need them. If you ask him if he thinks he will need them he will use them. They feel that he is just using them. However they do see that in school assembly he covers his ears and that afterwards he cannot concentrate sometimes for the remainder of the day. So why don't they just let him wear the headphones?

I would prefer the emphasis to be on reducing and controlling anxiety levels rather than reducing supports to achieve independence.

I also had to take medication because I couldn't travel to the hospital on the bus without being sick (and it was a two bus journey away).

Hi.Sorry I cross posted.

In that case it may be worth continuing to document the patttern of vomiting.

It may be possible to build up a picture of the specific issues that are causing anxiety.

I can predict very easily now the issues at school that are likely to trigger anxiety.

I think it may be worth talking to school to say that you are concerned that your son appears to be becoming more anxiou.It sounds like the issue for you is the anxiety and the level of independence the school are expecting.

I think that attempting to debate with them about the vomiting may just encourage avoidance of what is the real concern for you.

If you ask school to attempt to differentiate between causes of the vomiting I can imagine them just returning to the fact that they are not qualified to do that. :) Karen.

Sally,

I'm not an expert on CVS but I would imagine that it could be once but it would have to follow a pattern/cycle. Looking back my sons sickness was never severe to start with.

I discovered CVS only a few years ago when Cat posted information on the forum, it was such a relief to know there was an explanation for these episodes and that we were not the only family going through this. I knew instantly that this was the problem, he had all the symptoms and matched all the criteria apart from diarrhoea.

The onset of vomiting is most commonly during the night or early morning and this was certainly the case for my son. The onset rarely happening during the day and only happened at school once. We had great difficulty getting them to understand my sons difficulties or that school was causing him great stress. He always pretended he was coping at school, he wasn't diagnosed with autism until he was 19. If the situation had happened today I'm sure I would have been suspected of MSBP (Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy).

These episodes could always be related to a situtation that caused him stress, anxiety or excitement. For example on a morning when we were due to go on holiday we would wake up to find he was ill and having been ill during the night without our knowledge.

It might be worth keeping a record of your sons sickness and bearing CVS in mind. The school and your GP should be looking to see if these episodes are caused by stress and anxiety, if this is the case they should be doing everything possible to reduce his anxiety and increase his confidence.

I hope this helps.

Nellie >:D<<'>

Nellie and CAT. :notworthy::notworthy:

Thanks for the information.I think I may understand my OH better.

I will spend the day feeeling guilty.I have never been very sympathetic when he is sick.Even less so when it as we are just about to go on holiday or things are stressful at home.

He has a family history of migraine.

I had never come across CVS before.It explains a lot.I will at least be more sympathetic now.Karen.

Hi Karen,

You're welcome. :) I would hate families to suffer what we suffered. I know Cat has had huge problems too and I will always be grateful to her for bringing it to our attention. Thanks Cat :notworthy:

I had always intended to enquire if CVS is more common amongst people on the autistic spectrum. Sadly I was also too involved with my son to find the time, now things are settled I will endeavour to find out and post an update if this is the case.

Once CVS is recognised it is a very good, with a bit of detective work, at highlighting the persons difficulties/issues.

Nellie xx

CVS is sometimes called stomach migraine and is closely linked. We were very fortunate that we saw the right doctor at the right time - mind you we had to change GPs before we managed to see the right doctor at the right time. As Nellie says CVS almost always begins during the night or first thing on a morning. To this day if our son is sick at any other time I rule out CVS and know that whatever made him sick is something else. We had great fun trying to get a doctor at a walk in centre to believe that his vomiting was nothing to do with CVS when he started showing symptoms for appendicitis. But we knew that because he started vomiting before he went to bed it was not CVS related.

Like Nellie I have often wondered if CVS could be more prevalent in the autistic population. I think that maybe some doctors simply put the vomiting down to stress and anxiety and do not look deeper into it to see if there could be a significant other involved. I really hate autism being referred to as a jig saw puzzle but I can live with Donna William’s fruit salad theory because there are so ingredients that go into the condition that we know as autism that I do not think we have as yet come close to identifying and naming all of them.

Cat

A google search brought up this from ASD Friendly.

http://www.asdfriendly.org/board/index.php...rt=#entry209755

Interestingly it mentions acid bile, my son rarely vomited stomach contents it was almost always foul smelling acid bile, which took the colour out of any soiled bedding. In the beginning it wasn’t such a big problem but as it got worse he could vomit 20 to 30 times a day. The longest episode lasted three weeks but I believe the episodes were prolonged by his fear of illness. My son didn't eat at times of stress so this could explain the lack of stomach contents.

I have emailed CVS UK to enquire about the prevalence of CVS in individuals with autism.

Nellie xx

So far my son is always sick in the morning. Sometimes in the house, sometimes in the taxi, or sometimes in school. But it usually only one incident and he is sent home. He has had a couple of occasions of vomiting whilst asleep which really scared me and I haven't mentioned that to the doctors. But I found it strange that a child could vomit whilst asleep. Could that be down to CVS?

So far my son is always sick in the morning. Sometimes in the house, sometimes in the taxi, or sometimes in school. But it usually only one incident and he is sent home. He has had a couple of occasions of vomiting whilst asleep which really scared me and I haven't mentioned that to the doctors. But I found it strange that a child could vomit whilst asleep. Could that be down to CVS?

My son certainly did vomit in his sleep in fact that was usually how it all began with him. It is very scary and because it was happening so often with our son we had to move him back into our room. We first heard the words Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome in A&E where we had just been told that our son was severely dehydrated. The doctor who saw us said that she suspected CVS but wanted us to see her boss a Consultant at the hospital who would be able to diagnose. She arranged the appointment for us and CVS was confirmed because of the history and the nature of the vomiting. Like Nellie's son our son hardly ever brought back food it was always acid, which has stripped the enamel from his teeth. The Consultant told us that CVS is still a little known syndrome and if often misdiagnosed. We actually became quite well known within A&E after that because we were back quite a few times because of the syndrome and our son was always fast tracked because of his autism and dehydration. I know that our son had probably the most severe form of this syndrome. At the onset he could vomit up to 50 times per hour often not waking up to do so. It was very frightening indeed.

Even now our new Autism Consultant who is lovely wanted to put his CVS down to anxiety, which yet I know it is, but the extreme anxiety results in CVS. I would not back down and so our son is still recorded as having CVS. It's not as if we want him to have it but from speaking to some adults with autism who clearly had/have CVS although never diagnosed many also developed symptoms of Catatonia as they got older, which again is a condition which often goes undiagnosed and is simply put down extreme anxiety and distress. Again it is often the anxiety and depression which triggers Catatonia but it is a condition in its own rights but which many clinicians have very little understanding in which Pat Howlin stated in 1997. But because the anxiety and stress can lead to other issues we wanted the CVS to remain on our sons records.

I am so pleased Nellie that you have contacted the CVS people :thumbs: - maybe they could/should carry out some research into this. Of course parents who have autistic children and adults who have this syndrome probably do not even realise that fact because there is so little understanding of it even amongst medics :(

Cat

Edited by Cat

Hi Sally,

Yes this could be CVS but it could be something else.

Have you witnesses your son vomitting in his sleep? He might have vomitted and gone back to sleep.

My son never made us aware that he had been sick, we could find him in a bed soaked with bile, urine and saliva. During a period of illness he always slept in our room so we could keep a close eye on him. He would refuse all offers of drink and food, it was very difficult to keep him hydrated. He would be reluctant to move. He was hospitalised once for observation during an episode, but they could not understand his illness, which we managed ourselves as they had nothing to offer. At times he was so ill we thought he would die.

Sally, I do think you should make the doctor aware of everthing including the possibility of this being CVS or becoming CVS. I would like to stress that his sickness could be the result of many things, I am only making you aware of CVS and the implications, it's not my intention to scare or frighten you and I do hope I haven't.

Nellie >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi Sally.I think I may be able to offer some reasurance regarding your son vomiting in his sleep.

If an individual is conscious I think it is very unlikely that they would come to any major harm from being sick.

For people who are unconcious the main concern is that they could choke or that they could get vomit in their lungs.

Even if someone was sleeping soundly and vomited I would think it unlikely that either of these things would happen.Normally the reflex that protects the airway would function even when the individual was asleep.They would wake up coughing and distressed if there was any risk to their airway.

Even young babies do not choke if they bring up milk for this reason.

I would think that it would be very unusual for a previously well older child to vomit enough for it to be a medical emergency without the parents waking up.

It is extremely distressing to have to care for a child with vomiting.However it is unusual for an older child to become dehydrated enough to need intravenous fluids unless they have other medical problems or have had vomiting and diahorrea for several hours and have refused all oral liquids.

I am not saying that CAT and Nellie did not have a very difficult time.It sounds like their children were very unwell.

However if your son has only been sick once on each occasion,has not had diahorrea, will drink plenty of fluids and does not have other medical problems I would think it unlikely to be a situation needing an urgent medical response.If a child is poorly enough to need intravenous fluids they would look very unwell and dehydrated.They would not recover in an hour or two.

I also agree with Nellie that it would be worth talking to your doctor again.I know very little about CVS.However please don't worry too much. >:D<<'>

I think that if your son was poorly enough to need intravenous fluids then you would know and would not be thinking afterwards that there had been nothing much wrong with him.

:) Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Thanks everyone.

When he has been sick in his sleep he doesn't even wake up. I just find him in the morning!

With these recent and frequent episodes of vomiting and being sent home, I don't think he is sick. That is reason for the original post. He is having to spend alot of time at home (nearly 20 days in 3 months!) because he has been sick and there is nothing wrong with him.

I'll see what school say when I take in the doctors note. The GP has said that he is not automatically to be sent home for 48 hours on each occasion. My feeling is that if he is sick a second time, or appears to have a temperature etc then by all means phone me and I'll come and get him. But if it is an anxiety thing, then I think school need to look at that. I do feel that they are really pushing him at the moment, and my son will not say anything in school. If he gets stressed or anxious he just vomits.

If it were a symptoms of a migraine or an abdominal migraine then I believe school would know and recognise that because he is in so much pain that there have been times when I have been at the point of taking him to A&E just before the painkillers start to work. And he does need to have calpol and ibuprofen, and it does take around an hour for them to work. So I feel that it is quite easy to recognise that for what it is.

The sensory side is more a trial and error thing. But again they have stopped him wearing headphones for assembly and we've misplaced his Irlen glasses. And he does start to feel unwell from sensory processing problems. These can also trigger nausea, dizziness, sickness, migraines and vomiting.

I just want school to look at the wider picture.

Hi Sally,

We too have an 11 year old with alot of sensory problems. He also get sick at times of stress. But his school is very good. They make notes of any changes or what is happening 48 hours prior to the sickness also what is planned for the next two days.

We have tried every thing pressure points, several sickness tablets off the self and prescribed and none of them have helped.

We used lavender spray or lavender cream to help calm him down. We also use cool spray to help reduce how hot he feels.

You should definately ask the school to document everything that is happening, changes etc as it can normaly be identified.

When my child comes home with sickness I make him go to bed, no telly computer etc. Because if he fells he can do what he wants when he comes out the sickness is more frequent.

We also have the problem of our son not eating breakfast, snack or school dinner so you can see a build up of bile could be a problem.

Hi Sally,

my son(9) has also problems with vomiting. There are several reasons for them . Anxiety and asthma coupled cause him vomting as well. He has a sensitive stomach and he used to wake up during the night and vomit. If your son has asthma and sensitive stomach, acumulated mucus can cause him vomiting during the night. His vomit would smell of acid. What is helping him now is a tea made of Calendula(Marigold) which calms down the stomach as well as acidity. It is a powerful remedy(known in several countries in Europe) and we give him only half a mug in the evening before he goes to sleep.He also doesn't eat too late in the evening (by 6 o'clock) and this helps as well.

My ds also used to vomit each day when he was going to school in reception class due to anxiety. The school did not send him home and tried to stop him doing it just by saying no, sending him a message that it was not acceptible. Indeed ,he stopped doing it at school after a while.He probably got used to the idea of going to school. He was only 4. You are right when you say that the school should try to reduse his anxiety levels by helping him in every possible way ,including headphones.

Good luck.

Danaxxx

Morning all.I have a confession to make and need to update my view in the light of experience. :oops::rolleyes::lol:

Ben was sick last night.He has not been sick for some time.

Whilst he is not now particularly unwell he is now desperate to have whatever I will allow him to eat.

Evil mum who will only allow a bit of bread rather than a huge breakfast. :devil:

As I spent rather a lot of the early morning hours cleaning vomit from various upstairs rooms I do not think this is something I would wish to repeat regularly.

I spent the remainder of the night expecting Ben to be sick again and did not sleep much.

Poor old Ben.Having spent much of last term longing for a valid reason to be sick he is ill in the holidays. :tearful: Karen.