cmuir

ANYONE RECOMMEND BOOK FOR CHILD WITH AS ON AS?

Hi

My son is 7 and has AS. He's really struggling with this at the moment and I'd like to purchase a book suitable for his age group to attempt to try and explain things in a positive way. Can anyone recommend a good book?

Thanks.

Caroline.

feeks,greeks and aspergers syndrome- by luke boy of 15 with AS (but has family on the different parts of sepctrum e.g ADHD,autism, etc

science fiction

of mice and aliens -boy newly diagnosed with AS!-kathy hoopman

blue bottle mystery -kathy hoopman

the curious incident of the dog in the night time-mark haddon 14 years old boy with AS!

hope this helps your son comeas to terms and accept diagnosis and get used to terms around this different life! books helped me when first newly diagnosed especially curious dog in the night time my favourite of all time and feek geeks! helps understand yourself more find the real you which been missing!

take care

XKLX

I recently read Blue Bottle Mystery by Kathy Hoopman, ISBN 1853029785, and would recommend it.

I now intend to read it to my boys, hopefully it will help them understand each other a little better.

All the best

Gavin

Hi Caroline I think the best book for that age is 'Can I tell you about Asperger Syndrome' by Jude Welton. The first page has a picture with one sentence on it, and the opposite page has more information, for the child and parent to read together. Explains it really well for that age group. The Kathy Hoopman books are really good also. When he's a little older (or if he has good understanding/reading skills) Kenneth Hall wrote a great book when he was about 8 - "Asperger syndrome, the universe and everything'.

At that age, I'd start with the Kathy Hoopman books and hope he asks questions. Then introduce the Jude Welton book

Hope that helps

Can I tell you about Aspergers syndrome by Jude Welton.

It is written for children aged 7 to 15 years to help them understand difficulties faced by a child with Aspergers Syndrome and also for those who have had their own diagnosis. I shared this book with my son when he was 13 to help him accept ad understand his AS.

I have also givent his book to friends and family and it has been extremely helpful

When I read The Blue Bottle Mystery to my three boys, the two with asd did not pick up on the fact the boy was different. My non-AS son was saying "that's just like you", but the two Aspies could not see it.