A and A

fragile X

There is plenty of stuff out there is you google, but be wary of leaping to conclusions. Most observers put the incidence of Autism at around 1 in 100, while (depending on who yopu belive) incidence of FragileX at between 1 in 1500 and 1 in 3000 children, so it's best not to wotk yourself into an absolute panic in advance of your the formal assessment as it is more likely that your child does not have FragileX.

Simon

We are awaiting an appointment with gentisist regarding this condition for Piers. When Marcus was diagnosed ASD we had the test and both M and I were found to have markers for the condition at the upper limit of normal although not carrier status. When i was pregnant with Piers and Lydia i contacted genetics at sheffield to see what this meant for us. Thay said it wasn,t worth risking the pregnancy to get tested but the gene showed size instability and could mutate to make either of the twins a carrier and he recommended they were tested when they were older but if either of them developed a development disorder to contact them sooner. I had forgotten this until I saw Ms paed who asked about Piers without me even telling him we were having him assessed. He suggested we have him tested as apparently he has the facial features. Genetics said there is a possibilty he could be affected but it is rare so watch this space.