Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Full Time?

Apologies if I don't explain this well and have to try again - I'm struggling to get the question right in my own mind.

What counts as 'full-time' for a student (I assume it might be different if working 'full-time')?

For the past few years, I have worked ridiculously long hours often without rest breaks on my PhD (well I used to really enjoy it, so it was an obsession too) sometimes well into the night in order to produce what other students might produce in a day if they were working 'full-time' hours (say 9 - 5) because it takes me much, much longer, to read and process, to understand the huge amount of non-literal text I work with, to make decisions, to plan and structure, to remember what I'm doing, to make necessary contacts, so deal with anxiety in presenting work, etc etc etc. Because of my ASD, many things take me longer than they might take another student, especially when I do not have support.

If I were to work a normal 'full-time' (say 9 - 5) that other students do, I would fall behind each day without the support to help me address these issues.

I am currently behind because I am not able (on instruction of my doctors) to work full-time having recently been dx with epilepsy on top of the ASD and still having seizures and med side-effects.

I have been told I can do some work (which I'm doing) with the aim of building up to full-time, but a full-time in terms of hours (so, say 9-5 so I still have time to relax) not full-time in terms of work quantity and pushing myself ridiculously hard as I have been in the past.

This is not about me slacking - although I may produce less, I am still working 'fully' - not a case of write a few words, have a cup of tea and some choccy biccies, write a few more words go for a wander :eat1: (which some students do seem to do :shame:).

However, I have been told that being a full-time student is based on doing the same as everyone else in the same time frame (don't you just love equality... :rolleyes:). I have even been threatened with having my funding pulled because I am not 'full-time' by a work quantity definition. Really great for my stress levels right at the moment! :wacko:

So, the question, what is 'Full-time'? Surely this is a case of a need for 'reasonable adjustments'? (although I can see the other side - if this was paid employment the employer would want the person who did the most work in a set time, wouldn't they - I plan to go into employment where I can use my best skills to work at or above the pace of others - I'm not 'slow' (no offence meant) at everything - it's some of the specific issues I'm struggling with).

I know at our uni full-time students are 90 credits or more, which equates to 16hrs in uni and about the same again in independent study. So roughly 32-35hrs a week. :)

I know at our uni full-time students are 90 credits or more, which equates to 16hrs in uni and about the same again in independent study. So roughly 32-35hrs a week. :)

So hours, not quantity of work? :unsure:

I know at our uni full-time students are 90 credits or more, which equates to 16hrs in uni and about the same again in independent study. So roughly 32-35hrs a week

This is the same across the university sector - for undergraduates.

PhD research is a different kettle of fish altogether. I cannot comment on the specifics of an individual case, but I've supervised six doctoral students (all to successful completion) and know the general issues involved.

Mumble, you need to discuss this with your supervisor. I've sat here for half an hour going through all the permutations of what to argue and in the end I think it comes down to your specific circumstances. Have you explained to the grant body that you have been placed on medication that is (1) necessary and (2) may slow down your progress?

All I can add is that from my experience, how long it takes people to do their work differs hugely between individuals.