Sign in to follow this  
OL Adult Autism Strategy

Share your experiences of living with ASC and help shape a new Government strategy.

Opinion Leader is conducting in-depth research into the needs of adults with Autistic Spectrum Conditions (ASC), which will feed into the Government consultation on this issue, due to be completed later this year.

Opinion Leader is looking for people with ASC, their carers, family members and professionals in the field to share their experiences. There are a number of ways to get involved and you can choose the way that suits you best.

Group discussions, online forums and one-to-one interviews will take place from 29th June to 17th July 2009 and a thank you payment will be given for taking part. A second follow up stage of the research will take place in August and September that you can also take part in.

Register your interest to take part by visiting www.OLAdultAutism.org.uk, or calling Opinion Leader’s autism team on 020 7861 2877. Please note only people living in England can take part.

are you the same research company mentioned on Greenpeace's website?

Government backed/funded research that's fixed and finds what it wants to find? :o :o :devil: Surely not... :shame: :shame: :blink:

a thank you payment will be given for taking part

... On second thoughts, perhaps I can be convinced to put my scrupululaules (no idea what word I'm trying to spell... :unsure:) to one side... :whistle: :whistle:

On a serious note, what does this research aim to achieve in terms of feedback that cannot be achieved through the individual feedback on the strategy that has and is being asked for directly of people on the autistic spectrum and their carers from the Government? :unsure:

Who is funding this research exercise?

Will individual feedback carry the same weight as that obtained from research groups?

Is there a body/group whose job it is to amass and condense the individual feedback?

Who will, and how will the, data from different sources be triangulated?

Who will, and how will the, data from different sources be triangulated?

erm... equilaterally... or isocelesely. Probably.

:D

Autistic people can only participate with their carer, so this research is going to fail to identify any issues experienced by those of us who don't actually have any support at all. Well, I suppose that will get the government off the hook!

Autistic people can only participate with their carer, so this research is going to fail to identify any issues experienced by those of us who don't actually have any support at all. Well, I suppose that will get the government off the hook!

Where did you figure that one out? I'm confused as I can't find anywhere where it says only those with a carer can participate :huh::unsure:

There were groups, but I wouldn't have said anything in a group. The interviews were with the autistic person and their carer.

There were groups, but I wouldn't have said anything in a group. The interviews were with the autistic person and their carer.

:o:o

that's terrible! Imagine having to sit in a room with your parents/carers and discuss aspects of how you are cared for/parented, or things like services/opportunities you would like that maybe go against everything your parents/carers want/expect you to think :o

Tally I will check this one out for your tomorrow. I am part of the External Reference Group (ERG) and one of the biggest issues that we are addressing is easy 'access' for adults with autism to enable them to participate. The ERG has autistic adults working on all 5 of the chapters and they attend without carers or parents.

I am speaking to the researchers tomorrow about participation in the consultation and believe me I now have quite a few issues that I want to raise with them.

Cat

I would have been interested in participating with a 1:1 interview, but I currently live alone, supported in part by my parents who live a long way away. Mostly their support consists of advice on how to handle situations, rather than actually intervening directly. My dad is very good at prioritising tasks and breaking them down into achievable chunks. Although I am shortly moving back to live with my parents, I intend to continue to live independently, though without the pressure of maintaining my own home. My dad is already preparing a list of jobs for me to handle around the home! I don't think my parents would ever consider themselves my carers, and I would not want to participate in an interview with them present.