Sign in to follow this  
thebuzzer

Advice Re: DS attending school for his statemtent hours

Hi

We have received my son's Final Statement 2 weeks ago. He has been given 22.5 hours, so the school are getting full funding for those hours and they top up an extra 5 hours taking it up to 27.5 hours.

DS is only attending school for 20 hours a week. After exclusions last year he could only manage an hour a day until the end of Year 1 and when he started in Year 2 last September we agreed we would gradually build him up while we went through the Stat Ass. In the Stat Ass the school stated that DS could only be in school with full time 1:1. After the usual faffing about with the LA they agreed to the hours awarded, the school did go back to the LA and asked for more to take him up to 32.5 hours, but the LA have said they will not look at that until DS is actually full time. Fair enough.

My worry/problem is that in DS's PSP meeting before half term, the SENCO and his Class Teacher said that they felt DS could not cope with anymore hours now and when he starts in the juniors "he will probably find it very difficult as a lot more is expected of juniors and we may even find him going backwards"!!!!!!!!!!! They said we should be pleased if we manage to get him to full time by the end of year 3!!!!

Parent Partnership have said that this could jeopardise DS's hours on his statement as he should be attending for at least the hours that are stipulated in his statment. I agree, I realise that we cannot just up his hours in one go, but I feel the school are dragging their heels not for my son's benefit, but because it is easier on them if the is not there more. If I am sounding harsh or over sensitive there is quite a history with said school, you can see on my previous posts.

My query is, is this true that he has to attend for the hours in his statement, plus the 5 the school put in? I can't see the LA paying for hours he is not there. The school made such a fuss that he could only be there if the had 1:1 we now have the LSA's in place and paid for and they are still not upping his hours.

Sorry if this is waffly or unclear!

Thanks for any comments